Quick questions about freeing up space

J

Jon L

I was about to go buy a new HD, but instead I'm going through my PB and trying to free up as much as possible to see how much room I actually have.

I was wondering....is it OK to delete OS9 System Folder and Application Folder? I have never used anything from those, but I don't want to screw anything up.

Also, anyone know any other good places to start freeing up memory? My music folder is ever growing and I need more space!

Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
If you don't use Classic, then sure you could delete those folders. They hold nothing of value to OSX.

Try clearing out things in your /Library folder, too. Caches, Cookies, Logs, etc. can all be deleted.

...and if you really want to know what is taking up the space on your HD, download a free program called Disk Inventory X. It will list in a neat view all of the files on your computer and how much space each is taking up. Check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Down the Delocalizer program and run it if you have never run it before to get rid of all those other language files (if you do not use other languages - you can pick which to keep) and give yourself almost a gig of space. Search this site for the link, it's called delocalizer. once they are all gone then delete the delocalizer program itself as you won't need it anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.