Playlists

Reaction score
I’m a new Mac user but am unable to copy playlists from my iTunes on my Mac to a usb.Could someone talk me through the process and does the usb need formatting

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

A lot depends on what you are intending to do with the Playlists.

In the first article below (first question about a third way down), it tells you how to copy a playlist and export it to a USB Stick. The usual purpose in doing this is to transfer the Playlists(s) to another Mac with iTunes.

Your need may be different??

I don't think you can play the music direct from the USB stick.

As regards formatting: if it is exclusively for transfer from Mac to Mac, then format the stick "OS X Extended (Journaled)" aka HFS+.

If you are transferring to a Windows PC, then FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS
Maximum file size: 4GB
You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB

Articles to consider:

https://www.macworld.com/article/1165775/ipad/ask-the-itunes-guy-work-with-playlists.html
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3631435

If these don't help you or if I've misunderstood your question or needs, post back.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
The USB will already be formatted if it's new. If it's not new just delete everything on it.
Go to iTunes and select your playlist. Now click on an item in the right hand side (the list of songs in the play list) Now control-A (select all the songs in the play list). Now just drag them to the USB. Or while the songs are still selected, Control-C (copy) then find your USB in finder, open it, click in it, and Control-V (paste). That's how I do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.