Newbie Trying to USE VPN on Iphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Friends, i looked around in the web but i couldn't find clear step by step turtorial on how to use VPN on iphone (iphone x). I downloaded expressVPN but when i gave my email it asked me to allow it to access and configure all my internet traffic so i stepped back. Now i know it's what VPNs do but still i want some advices first. Are you allowed in the forum to propose the best vpn? I was adviced to use Nordvpn now. My question is whats the procedure. Once i istall the VPN app and it configures my phone i go to the local wifi network and what do i do- log normaly with the wifi password? Or do i do something specific or it will guide me on the way? If someone has time please give me step by step how exactly the procedure goes (since the WIFI is not well trusted) and also when i finish my work on the non secured Wifi how shall i cancel the connection. Thanks in advance :)))

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've used ExpressVPN and that has worked well, others might work as well and you will choose the one that's good based on price and possibly speed. When it comes to setting it up, you do need to give it permission to install the necessary certificates and that's universal regardless of which VPN option you got with. Allow the software to do what it needs to do.

Once the certificate has been installed, you'll have the ExpressVPN (or other one of your choice) app that you will launch and choose to Connect to the VPN endpoint of your choice.

This will now set up the connection and you'll see a [VPN] icon on the status bar on top when the connection is established.

Depending on the VPN software, some allow you to connect to the VPN directly from Settings->VPN. But if that option keeps failing, then you have to use the VPN app to establish the connection.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks RazorEdge, but do i do that before i log to the wifi or after. Again i am really cluless and have little expirance so i cant quite follow. So i install the app the i set up this connecction points while i am still on my celluar or i neet to connect to the router and then set it up?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After you've got the VPN fully configured (setting the certificates installed and all that), it doesn't matter if you are on WiFi or Cellular, the VPN connection can be established on either. Obviously, if you have access to WiFi, you should be using that to avoid eating into your data (assuming you have a plan where you have to pay) and also to get faster speeds.

ExpressVPN has a very detailed setup guide for iOS that you can follow. Other VPN software should have similar things.

OP
J
Reaction score
Razor thanks very much again. I have very strong celluar plan and i dont worry about the internet, but currently i have no wifi but my phone needs to update the softoware also i want to download some apps and the IOS wont allow me to update through the celluar. So i plan to access public wifi or some friend's, but still i want to be 100% on security since i trust very little people so i want to use the VPN. So i set up the vpn configuration now and tomorrow when i reach the public wifi (or friend's one) it will connect on itself or i should connect to the wifi manually. It may sound stupid but i still having trouble understanding this.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
When you get to the WiFi source (library, cafe, friend's house), tap on the VPN App to activate it. You will need your email address and password - unless - you have set up the App in advance; in which case it should activate automatically.

Now - you will open Settings > WiFi and the source WiFi should be shown as an option.

If it's free, you only have to select it. If it's a friend, say, they or you will have to input the password for that particular WiFi.

NB VPN does not switch on/off automatically. You need to do that - best, in my view, via the App.

HTP

Post back if anything not clear.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi IWT and thanks again for your support. Now here is what happened so far. I registered in expressVPN but it only requested email it didnt allow me to create password. It started 7 trial. I logged out than and when i tried to relog it asked me for a password so i tried to create the account again and i created again email. I dont know what happened i freakd out if i accidentally mistyped someone else's email (which is hardly unlikely) and there was no information wchich email i am curently logged in - only kept showing me 7 days trial. So what shall i do know- i relog how to set a password on my account or does that happenes when 7 day trial finishes and payment method starts to take place. I keep trying to their internet site but it always request password which i never got the chance to create? I see no info in the internet about it.

Reaction score
Hi IWT and thanks again for your support. Now here is what happened so far. I registered in expressVPN but it only requested email it didnt allow me to create password. It started 7 trial. I logged out than and when i tried to relog it asked me for a password so i tried to create the account again and i created again email. I dont know what happened i freakd out if i accidentally mistyped someone else's email (which is hardly unlikely) and there was no information wchich email i am curently logged in - only kept showing me 7 days trial. So what shall i do know- i relog how to set a password on my account or does that happenes when 7 day trial finishes and payment method starts to take place. I keep trying to their internet site but it always request password which i never got the chance to create? I see no info in the internet about it.

That is really interesting, you just gave the email, and it started to work as 7 days trial ? just like that? It supposes they will ask you to pay after 7 days through email you gave them. I am using nordvpn for my iphone.. and it was much more straightforward, you just go to their website, press subscribe, enter your details choose your payment method, enter coupon if you got one, and that's it. You pay, and your acc is ready. Then you receive the email with acc details, and you sign inside iphone app. I've paid through mac and then sign in through an iphone easy. Just make sure it is one before accessing the internet. It won't be on if you have no wifi or mobile network. :) I am not using expresvpn because my friend had nordvpn and it seems much more relaxed, good luck!

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
I was wondering between nordvpn and express vpn but it seems express vpn is more how should i say commercial because i see it in evey site. Thats it i donwloaded the app it asked me if i am already user or new one i clicked new one and it asked my email, and that was it. It asked me to configure options but i backed out because i wanted to ask here first. Then i went back but the username there was password requested which i never had so registered again with the same email. (maybe the first time it didnt registrate me at all although it sended welcome email on my gmail. When i registered for second time with the same email i sedned nothing just configurete my phone and that was it. I simply cant find how to add password maybe it will happen after a week when my free week expires. I even got confused if i somehow misspeled my email the second time because there was no way to see whcih email i am signed with. Its really confusing.

OP
J
Reaction score
Now one question out iof the subject- if i go on settings and cancel VPN, then delete the VPN app, it automatically deletes its configurations right? I mean once gone it no longer has any access to my phone?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Follow the guidelines from the VPN service you choose to remove their configurations from your phone. Removing the app (by pressing on it until it jiggles and hitting X will not do this)

OP
J
Reaction score
There is no remove configurations on the app just reinstall. It also doesnt allow me to set up password or check the email i am currently log ed. Its just says i have 7 days trial and nothing else. The app is currently on. I search in the web and here is what i found
Go to the Apple Menu and click on System Preference
Open the Network Control Panel pane
click on Network Port Configurations in the Show menu
Delete the VPN Connection and click Apply Now

There is absolute no information how to set password, nor to how to manage my account. I am talking about Express VPN. THis is very strange.

OP
J
Reaction score
Now there is only UPGRADE seciton where i have to place my credit card but that will eliminate my 7 days trial at the second, at least that what it says. Again i cant add password anywhere. But the app is currently on anv VPN is effective i have no idea how that is happening without me having official account there.

OP
J
Reaction score
In my undesrtanding i am currently nor registered since i am using the trial and once is off it will allow me to register properly with password or i dont know. If someone have done this recently please share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.