FYI - My Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro is still awesome

Reaction score
Random "forums could go down any moment" post...

In early 2012 I bought my Nth Mac, the Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro. Base config: 2.4ghz i7 CPU, 4GB RAM, whatever hard drive, glossy screen. The RAM didn't last long, it went to 8GB before first bootup, along with a Seagate hybrid 750GB drive. Keyboard protector laid over the keys, plugged in, perched center stage in my office room in my condo. I used it daily as my main web browsing, mail, music, chat, etc. device. I eventually bumped it up to 16GB and a 512GB SSD, and the logic board got replaced (free) when its number came up in the 2011 AMD GPU failure lottery. When I saw in 2012 they discontinued them, I was not so much shocked as just accepting. I knew they were not huge sellers, and their form factor didn't really seem sturdy enough for their thinning of the 15" and soon 13".

I ended up replacing it with a 27" iMac last year. I never even moved the thing, it had been sitting on my desk. It had TWO cycles on the battery in five years (Apple added a cycle doing the logic board replacement.. jerks). I removed it from iCloud, clean installed Sierra, put it back in the original box, and Craigslisted it. No serious buyers (no I'm not selling it for $400 sheesh). Tried a few other sites, nothing. After a few months, I figured I'd use it for testing out some admin stuff I was playing with. I forgot just how.. unhindered.. the GPU is. It's 1920x1200, and a piece of cake for the GPU to handle, unlike the Retinas where particularly the early ones were really struggling to drive those 3K panels. The screen does have a very visible screen door effect now (hey, a 5K iMac spoils a person), but it still looks pretty good if not a bit weak on lighter colors. Eventually I stopped that testing and set it up as a nightstand laptop, of which it takes the ENTIRE nightstand. 8)

This is still a good looking laptop. It's comfortable to type on (even with a new keyboard protector) and it's still perfectly functional for any task I'd do on it. Despite horribly managing the battery, the charge is still 'good' and the drain is slow and predictable. I know there will never be a 17" Retina. A 4K 17" Retina with a Xeon, workstation graphics, 32GB RAM and 1TB high-performance flash storage in space grey? The world is not ready. I'm just hoping they can get the 15" models to a point where I feel as attached to them as I do to this one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an Early 2011 17" MBP...and it's still doing pretty good. Love the large display when working in front of TV. Only issue...battery is starting to swell...and trackpad is hard to do physical click. But I usually use an external input device.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was in Staples the other day looking at a 17" HP notebook. Nice machine. I guess folks got tired of hauling around a 17" MacBook Pro and sales fell off for that size model. I suppose that's why Apple discontinued the 17" models. It's too bad because a 17" screen with a high resolution retina display would be awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I, too, have a 17" 2011 MBP. Loved it until the GPU went south. Apple repaired it under the extended warranty, but in the meantime I got a 2015 15" rMBP that is now my main system. The 2011 I fire up occasionally, but it's more of a backup to an older iMac that is my home automation controller. When that iMac finally dies, the 17" will be put in play in that role. That should outlast me, frankly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.