transfer pics from iPad to Mac mini

Reaction score
I have several thousand photos stored on an older (gen 1) iPad. How can I move these to my Mac mini? When I plug my iPad into the Mac via usb cable and select it from the drop down it only shows a handful of pics. thx

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The fastest is to plug the iPad in with the USB cable and then launch Image Capture. This will show you all the pictures that are on the iPad which can be all selected and then copied to any folder on your Mac Mini.

When you say you are missing photos, were they all taken on this iPad? Do you have Photostream enabled?

OP
R
Reaction score
none were taken on the iPad, but were moved there from my old Mac which has since died. There are over 30GB of pics on the iPad. I have not set up the cloud for my account

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you sync folders to iDevices, the way you manage them on the device or through other apps is done differently. The assumption is that you will continue to use iTunes to sync them on an ongoing basis. If you don't have the original machine/folder, then your iPad has become the repository for those images and you might have to use maybe a 3rd party app to grab the images. I'm not ultra familiar with this, but taking a guess that iMazing might do that for you. Others are more familiar with that app and should chime in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.