• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PowerMac G6 ripoff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I love how they call it a PowerPC G6, but it has a P4 chip in it!

G6 CPU:90nm 3800MHz SSE3 Central Processing Unit Intel Pentium4 3.8GHz SSE3 Prescott 64-bit PowerPC-G6 Processor Intel Inside

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I smell a lawsuit!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Nice find. That looks nothing like Apple would ever make. However, that's not a bad for a PC. Some people have been h4xx0r1ng OS X onto a PC so that is probably what they are doing. Not to smart on the manufactuer's part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
wow selling machines with pirated OS on them smart move

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
inflexion said:
wow selling machines with pirated OS on them smart move
So I am not the only one who spotted that. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
yeah, thats not a bad price.... completely illegal, and im surprised the site is still up now... wonder if apple will give me a free ipod if I report it to them :p

but thats not going to happen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Would it be illegal to run OSX on these machines if a copy was actually purchased?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
techster82 said:
Would it be illegal to run OSX on these machines if a copy was actually purchased?
Well, yes you could legally purchase a regular copy of OS X for it.......but it would never run on it. The only version of OS X that runs on that system is the x86 prototype/developer version.... which is illegal to distribute or install on that machine. That happens to be the very version they are showing as coming included with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the new version of OSX, for the Intel Macs, would work on some X86 based computers. I recall now reading about the developer version but wasn't sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
techster82 said:
I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the new version of OSX, for the Intel Macs, would work on some X86 based computers. I recall now reading about the developer version but wasn't sure.
There isn't a special version of OS X for Intel Macs. Yes, there are different software updates that are processor dependant, but they still run the same version of Tiger that PowerPC Macs do.

Reaction score
That site doesn't look like a real retail site. What kind of US business lists their prices as "USD"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These computers are making headlines on other sites. Macnn, and Project OSX86 both had blurbs on the computers. They say they are sold by a South American company and are manufactured in China and South America. Members of the OSx86 project were the ones who found them.

Reaction score
They are selling a complete system for $500....?!?!?!?!? A 3.8Ghz Pentium 4 costs $450+ by itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's Blue. This is the extent of my knowledge :\
kinda looks scamish. :D

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
its legit, you would have to take the risk tho. and deal with Apple's lawyers and Adobe's. here is the TUAW post:
"Want an Intel-based Mac but don't want to pay Apple's prices? A company called Red PCs may have what you're looking for -- if you're willing to face the wrath of Apple's lawyers. Red PC is now offering something they're calling a "PowerPC G6 Macintosh" for $499. According to the specs, the box is basically a generic Pentium-based PC running a hacked version of the Intel version of Mac OS X. For your $499, the company is also throwing in copies of Photoshop CS2 and Microsoft Office 2004, making this quite the deal, given that Photoshop alone can go for over $400. But, then, we assume you're prepared to deal with Adobe and Microsoft's lawyers as well if you're ready to buy this. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be), the Red PCs web site seems to be down, though the machine is still listed on the Alibaba.com site as available for purchase with free global shipping and a one-year warranty."

Reaction score
biggyme13 said:
its legit, you would have to take the risk tho. and deal with Apple's lawyers and Adobe's. here is the TUAW post:

Thats not a very reliable source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
biggyme13 said:
its legit, "

It's about as "legit" as THIS

It's "legit" as in "sold by a real company", not legit as in "Authorized by the makers of the pirated software being sold with it."

OP
C

chewey

So it would be illegal to buy one, right? I must say, if this was legal and a legit company than it would be a killer deal....you get the LCD display too, sweet!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.