Firefox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Hope this is an okay question to ask here. Been using Firefox for years and years, but hate the Quantum update. How to revert to Firefox 55? Found several sites with huge lists of download options, but can't figure out which is what. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
(Yes I know this forum closed on 12-31, but we still seem to be live!)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We're still alive! :)

You can download Firefox version 55 from here. But it probably means you'll need to completely remove Quantum first. That could lead to problems if you have no way to save your bookmarks and extensions.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We're still alive! :)

You can download Firefox version 55 from here. But it probably means you'll need to completely remove Quantum first. That could lead to problems if you have no way to save your bookmarks and extensions.

Thank you! I back up all my FF stuff regularly, so that's not a problem.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you! I back up all my FF stuff regularly, so that's not a problem. (

Only problem is that is for Windoze only. I couldn't find a Mac version. :'

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Only problem is that is for Windoze only. I couldn't find a Mac version. :'

The Mac version link is at the bottom of the page. I think though it may be for version 57. Try this LINK.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That worked - thanks! Theme and Font Size Changer no longer exists, and the system fonts on both FF and Thunderbird don't change when you revert. How about someone here developing an app that enlarges the system fonts for both FF & Thunderbird; I'd pay for such an app!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure about Firefox, but when I used the Mac version of Thunderbird it seems to me that I could increase the font size of both received mail and send mail. Have you looked in Thunderbird preferences?

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure about Firefox, but when I used the Mac version of Thunderbird it seems to me that I could increase the font size of both received mail and send mail. Have you looked in Thunderbird preferences?

You're right about changing the fonts on messaging; that's no problem. It's the system font that's the problem - the labels and listings are unreadable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right about changing the fonts on messaging; that's no problem. It's the system font that's the problem - the labels and listings are unreadable.

Yeah, the only way to increase the system font is to use Command + to enlarge it. However, unless the font size sticks you'll have to do the same thing each time you open Firefox. That works with Safari and Chrome (it sticks) but I have never tried it with Firefox.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the only way to increase the system font is to use Command + to enlarge it. However, unless the font size sticks you'll have to do the same thing each time you open Firefox. That works with Safari and Chrome (it sticks) but I have never tried it with Firefox.

Command + has no effect on the integral fonts - the labels across the top, bookmarks, and the list of email mailboxes. That is where the problem lies; the font is so small I can't even read the list of emails! I attached a screen shot and the fonts look a lot bigger than they are. I'd guess the font is about 6 point
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 9.58.06 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A quick web search list various hits for enlarging or changing the font ant/or size for different versions.

Try some of the hits from here or modify the search request subject:
Mac Thunderbird enlarge font size
https://www.google.ca/search?client...UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=ykJUWvqSGYHt8wfOkJp4

- Patrick
======

Thank you but this is Theme and Font Size Changer, which FF has completely disabled. I've contacted the developer, and if there is enough of a demand, he might rework the add-on to function with FF Quantam. Appreciate your efforts I do!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and if there is enough of a demand, he might rework the add-on to function with FF Quantam.

Sorry for the incorrect info, and I guess you're suffering from more "new & improved" features that seem to be happening more & more theist days. ;-(

PS: Is there not some alternative??? But then you wouldn't have asked I guess. ;-)

- Patrick
======

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the incorrect info, and I guess you're suffering from more "new & improved" features that seem to be happening more & more theist days. ;-(

PS: Is there not some alternative??? But then you wouldn't have asked I guess. ;-)

- Patrick
======

Hey - I appreciate your time and efforts. And I like that "suffering from new & improved features" bit - so very true!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@rainbowcat

I guess you've been and seen this???…

…a way to increase the font size in the message list pane and folder list with MacOS?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1198055

The "fix" seems to be to use the userChrome.css file. Whatever works I guess!!!

Maybe a solution for you, but then I guess you'd have to install the later versions to get it to work.

Lots of luck.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think he's wanting the Firefox system font to be increased not necessarily the message list pane. The message list pane in both Firefox and Thunderbird can be increased but it's the menu items and Firefox system font that is too small.

"Tinker Tool" (which is free) has an option to increase an application's font size but it doesn't always work right and not for every application. Might be worth a try though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think he's wanting the Firefox system font to be increased not necessarily the message list pane.

I'm not sure, but I came across the page and just posted it for the OP to digest as a suggestion.

Personally if an app doesn't work the way I want, I use one that comes closest. And I think that's what the OP may be doing by using an older app version and a compatible extension.

But actually, I find it hard to believe that a Mac email app would even need some plugin or extension to view and work with it properly.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But actually, I find it hard to believe that a Mac email app would even need some plugin or extension to view and work with it properly.

Nothing wrong with the app. I've used Thunderbird for years both in Windows and macOS and it works fine. The complaint is that the system and menu font is too small for him. For me it's OK. I don't use or like Firefox, so I can't comment on their menus or system font. Keep in mind both apps are developed by Mozilla and are free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing wrong with the app.

Hmmm…??? Other than the fact that the font size is too small and some find it hard to change for many users:
IE Typical :
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=K0VWWp_iNs3e8AfUjJ2ABA

At least some found a fix font the small menu font here, and maybe it could be a fix for the OP:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1185441

I guess it would be easier if the Accessibility Pref Pane had a few more options for such applications, but I can't check if it does if the OP is using H-Sierra.

Too bad we don't have the old "OS Resources" and the Res Edit application to use these days to fix such things eh??? :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Faster and even more minimalist, Firefox Quantum makes Chrome look old. That's what people said about Firefox Quantum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.