Wifi securty is iphone safe?

Reaction score
It was probably talked about here but i am new so please give some clues. Can ios (iphone x) get infected from wifi? I am currently on the way and all i have is my although very strong celluar network. But apple wont allow me to update so i need to log to some wifi somewhere to do those updates. I am bit paranoid type of guy i don't really like to connect to someone else's routers but it seems i dont have an option. I dont have other devices exept my phone right now so i cannot update via Mac or other device. Are there any measures i can take before using public wifi?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are there any measures i can take before using public wifi?

Lots of questions today........

Anyway, yes there is something you can do - use a VPN. The TunnelBear VPN is free for limited use with iOS. You can find it in the iTunes App Store.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks chscag, but it soulds kinda complicated for me, i am really just to the point where i can use my facebook and make calls. But i will have a look on that :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Facebook? No privacy there. :) TunnelBear is very easy to use and it's free for limited use. Give it a try.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
What Admin chscag says is obviously sound advice.

If I read your immediate need correctly, you must have WiFi to update your iPhone?

Well, have you a trusted friend or family member with their own home WiFi setup? They could input their WiFi password into your iPhone without your ever knowing what it is - it doesn't show. From their point of view that is secure.

From your point of view, you get access to secure WiFi.

Do your update or whatever and when completely finished - for added security - delete that WiFi from your iPhone. They are happy, ditto you.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
you must have WiFi to update your iPhone
Ian, if you've updated iTunes to the latest version, then yes, you must have WiFi to update apps on the iPhone. iTunes no longer supports management of apps on the iPhone or iPad. It will allow you to update iOS, however. So for the OP, if iTunes is available, you can update the iPhone through that. But if he's traveling, then to get WiFi one has to be willing to use someone else's WiFi, which he seems reluctant to do.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Jake

Of course you are correct. Because I have replied to the same OP on several other threads, I know that he/she has only one Apple device, i.e. the iPhone X. He/she indicated that he/she had no access to iTunes.

These are bald statements; I don't know about the availability or access to a PC, for example.

From what's been posted, I took it for granted that the OP was being accurate when he/she posted
although very strong celluar network. But apple wont allow me to update so i need to log to some wifi somewhere to do those updates

They could be referring to iOS updates??

In fairness to the OP, I also know that English is not their first language and that there is probably not a strong background in computer technology in general. If you follow.....

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ian, I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to an iOS update, which does require either WiFi or iTunes. Not allowed over cellular. I think the OP is looking to get the latest update because of the recent publicity about the security vulnerabilities that Apple has patched in the latest versions, but is away from home and doesn't trust the WiFi in the local area. IN that case, the only option is to wait until the iPhone can be on a WiFi that is trusted, or to use iTunes on a trusted network. In the meantime, to reduce the risk, the iPhone should be use as-is, with no new software installed. That should be safe, as it takes an app running on the device to get to the vulnerability.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Totally agree, Jake

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.