Does two factor authentication works for all apple accounts?

Reaction score
When i bought new iphone and created apple id trhough my icloud, in security settings it says my two factor authentication is on. Does that protect everything- i cluoud, app store and so on or do i have to manually activate it for everything? Thanks in advancce!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
J
Reaction score
I got it thanks :) So basically, once i created my apple id, the two factor authentication defends all products that i access by my apple id - the email, itunes and app sotres and so on?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you got it. :)

Just don't forget your Apple ID or Password, and make sure you have correctly identified your second devices to receive the authentication. If you mess up any of that, you will be locked out for around 2 weeks until Apple gets it sorted for you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score
I can't understand you but again i very very behind with technologies. I have my phone number as two factor authentication, so if someone tries to log to my account from another device, it will send me sms with 6 digit core right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your iPhone number is one factor; you have to be able to receive the code somewhere else. And I think you really need to read up on how two factor authentication works. Go back to the Apple article and read it carefully. Make sure you're covered.

OP
J
Reaction score
chscag, i really am confused here. When i created the icloud email that was identified as my apple ID, it asked me for my personal cell number. Therefore i am secure now so if someone with bad attentions tries to sign from somewhere i will recive sms with 6 digit code and it will stop him from accessing? Lets say that i only ever access my apple account from device A, which is my iphone. If someone tries to connect from device B, C or whatsoever, it will send SMS to my cell number, and if i insert that SMS code it will allow device B, C or so on to access. As long as the security code from the SMS is not applied, the intruder wont be able to access? Am i missing something?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Am i missing something?

No. What you are finding is that 2FA is complex.

For starters: as you have just purchased a new iPhone (from previous post of yours), when you created your Apple ID, 2FA would have been mandatory and you can't switch it off.

Extraordinary as it sounds, many of us on these forums have experienced the same as you - namely, that your secure code is sent to the device that you are using, if it is the only Apple product you have. Kind of defeats the point, I would say.

However, 2FA allows you to choose a landline number where you get a robotic message with your code; or the number of a trusted friend. Of course he/she has to be with you at the time.

You can also use an email address, different from your iCloud one, as an Apple safety contact to verify your identity.

It is complicated. But as advised by our Admin chscag, go back to the article and have a thorough read including the links which detail much of what I've mentioned here.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
IWT hi there :) I read the link chscag sent me again and again. understand you are trying to help here but i really can't follow your point. English is not my born language so i may be unable to understand. So let's talk with simple steps here. Here is what i know.
I have iphone, i also have mobile cell number.
I have two factor authentication, linked to my phone number.
Every time someone tries to log to my apple id from device, different than my Iphone, a 6 digit code will be sent to my SIM CARD (Even if the sim card is not in the iphone itself)
If lets say something happens to my iphone, i simply go to my mobile provider, take a new sim card on my same number, i go with another apple device, type my apple id, recive
the 6 digit code, and i am able to access with the new device? Or if i buy Apple laptop for exaple, and i log from there, i will recive the code again on my phone.
Basically, i do that or defence/security. If a hacker or someone who knows tries to log to my apple id/icloud email wchih is very important for me, he wont be able without the sended code (unless he guess it in the limited ammount of time wchich would be bit of a magic)

So my simple question as for now is, with two factor authentication turned on, All my apps, email (icloud), and other stuff that are linked to the apple id will be protected if someone tries to log to them other than from my own phone. This is what i want to know for now, step by step.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi

No problem at all. Your English is fine and even if it was your first language, it's not easy:)

Every time someone tries to log to my apple id from device, different than my Iphone, a 6 digit code will be sent to my SIM CARD (Even if the sim card is not in the iphone itself)

Correct. The 6-digit code is sent to your mobile phone number.

if i buy Apple laptop for exaple, and i log from there, i will recive the code again on my phone.

Correct. At any time in the future, if you log in to your Apple ID on any new device, you will get the 6 digit code.

So my simple question as for now is, with two factor authentication turned on, All my apps, email (icloud), and other stuff that are linked to the apple id will be protected if someone tries to log to them other than from my own phone.

Correct.

(Remember, if you ever get another email address that is NOT linked to iCloud.com, say Gmail or Hotmail, then these emails will have there own password and address and will NOT be protected by the 6 digit code.)

If lets say something happens to my iphone, i simply go to my mobile provider, take a new sim card on my same number, i go with another apple device, type my apple id, recive
the 6 digit code, and i am able to access with the new device?

This is a little more complicated - sorry:D. Yes, in principle this is correct. And certainly correct if you are just replacing your iPhone with a new one.

But say it was stolen?

You can protect yourself further by turning on "Find My Phone".

Read this article. It tells you how to turn on this feature AND what to do if your iPhone is ever stolen.

https://www.imore.com/find-my-iphone

Please come back with any more questions. No problem.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.