Can i use same phone number on more than one apple id?

Reaction score
I have old apple id that i no logner use. Is it a problem if i create new apple id after reseting the iphone, using my same number and name? I wont use the old one anymore.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes you can. You might like to remove the number from your old ID account information if you no longer intend to use it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks. Thing is i longer remember nether the password nor the username i used to sign in. But my phone is still registered there.So its not a problem to start new id :) Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Palak said:
As per my information,It’s Not Possible. For safety purposes, you cannot practice the identical phone number for two Apple ID accounts but there are circumstances you would require to retrieve one if you misremember your password or if your account is negotiated. It will deliver you the error, “The number is already associated with an Apple ID".
I don't think that's accurate. I have two different Apple ID's and they are attached to the same phone number AFAIK.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think that's accurate. I have two different Apple ID's and they are attached to the same phone number AFAIK.

How does that work with 2FA turned on? I was tempted at one time to give my wife a different Apple ID from mine and use her number, but I could visualize problems with doing it that way especially since she comes to me with iPhone problems. I figured since I have to solve all the problems anyway, I might as well have everything coming to me using one Apple ID and my number. LOL.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
One of my Apple ID's is basically used for App Store Purchases. The other came about during the while mac.com / icloud transition and happened quite accidentally. Both accounts are set to send the 2FA ID code to the same devices / phone number. there are only two problems that I've seen:

1. I have a few apps that I have accidentally purchased something under the second account. Annoying but not a major issue other than having to log into the second account to update a handful of apps.

2. With both accounts using the same trusted device/phone number sometimes I have to think for a second about which account I needed it for (login attempts etc).

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I too would have thought it was possible but maybe a bit confusing at times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.