Security and Anti Virus Apps How to trust?

Reaction score
It is false advertising when Companies offer free Security Applications, run a scan, identify issues, and then require payment.

They are not free.

My issue is I just downloaded TotalAV and ran one of their total scans.

The App found 6 virus threats (my free copy of Malware found none), 9000 files, a bunch of system issues, etc.

How does one know that these scans are actually finding real issues, and not false information to bait you into buying?

It would so easy to create a fake scan with fake information.

Comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Well, start with the fact that there are NO viruses for Mac in the wild today. So whatever TotalAV found won't affect your Mac. If Malwarebytes found nothing, you have nothing.

I suspect that those 6 "threats" were all in emails you received from Windows users. The reason I suspect that is that the only thing TotalAV can find are Windows problems and your only connection to Windows is through email. Now, if you care about your Windows using friends, you might want to use something to keep you from forwarding on to them a virus from an email sent to you, but they really should have their own protections in place.

Faking a scan? Sure, all the time. Just remember my first statement whenever you see that.

BTW, this forum is being closed by the owners. For information see this thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/news-and-community-announcements/344718-life-mac-forums-com.html

There is a longer thread about it in that area, too.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
All scare tactics to get you to pay. Windows definitely has a lot of viruses and most people equate computer to computer, regardless of it being Windows or OS X and don't know/care about the differences. Thus, they will naturally assume that viruses affect all computers and these companies use that to make money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.