Ok for a Google guy?

Reaction score
Originally from Virginia, currently living in Hano
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13-inch retina, Early 2015, 2.7 i5 processor, 8 GB Memory. iPhone 7.
Hello everyone,

My wife ordered an Apple Watch Series 3 for my birthday and I am super excited about receiving it. I'm hoping that it will help me keep up with tasks and schedules as I am a school administrator and I often get pulled in many different directions.

One concern that I have is that almost all of my work is done through Google; my school uses Google apps for collaboration, my email is a Google account and all of my calendar events are through Google. I read that Google stopped working on Apple Watch apps. Am I out of luck? Will I need to use Apple apps (Mail, Calendar etc.) to receive notifications on my Apple Watch? What suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you google account is setup on your iPhone you will get your google mail on your watch. I have Google mail, Live mail (Microsoft) and a work email. I get all three on my AW3. I have used Google to store my calendar and contacts for years. I started with Android phones but when I switched to Apple everything transferred flawlessly. I set it up to use Google as the default. If your iPhone is showing your calendar on your iPhone it will show on your AW3.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you google account is setup on your iPhone you will get your google mail on your watch. I have Google mail, Live mail (Microsoft) and a work email. I get all three on my AW3. I have used Google to store my calendar and contacts for years. I started with Android phones but when I switched to Apple everything transferred flawlessly. I set it up to use Google as the default. If your iPhone is showing your calendar on your iPhone it will show on your AW3.

Lisa

Hi Lisa, thanks for the information.

Do you use the Mail app on your iPhone to receive your Google, Live and work email? Is that how you are able to receive notifications on your AW3? I ask because I'm not a huge fan of the Mail app; I normally check my email either through the Chrome browser or the Spark email app.

The same question goes for calendar: Do you use the actual Calendar app from Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do use apple mail. Spark mail offers compatibility for the apple watch so it will work. As for calendar - I do not use the apple one. I use Fantastical 2. It is not free but I like it a lot. It also works great with my watch. And it syncs with the apple calendar so when I view it on my Mac Pro they are identical.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@MooSRI50, you need to know that this site is due to be shut down by the owners any time now. The official date was yesterday, but we think nobody is there at work to do the shutdown, so we are on borrowed time. Here is the thread about it:

tp://www.mac-forums.com/news-and-community-announcements/344599-mac-forums-shutting.html

Read the front part, then jump to about 2/3s through and see what dtravis7 and Slydude are doing to keep us all in touch until a new board can start.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
To save you the trouble of reading most of that thread and where we stand right now:

1. The owners have announced that this forum was to be shut down as of December 31, 2017. I suspect that the only reason we are up today is due to it being a holiday.

2. Dennis (a.k.a dtravis7) is in the process of setting up a new forum and several of the current admins are working to set up a new site. A domain has been registered and forum software purchased. The guys are working feverishly to get things working as soon as possible.

3. The new site is not ready for member logins yet. If you would like to be kept informed about when the new site is up and ready
Join Denis's Facebook group or PM me an email address and I will add you to the email list.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Jake I see that you are doing your best Paul Revere impression :D warning everyone this morning about the impending forum closure. Thanks for that. Feel free to copy and paste the post above if that speeds thing up for you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Jake I see that you are doing your best Paul Revere impression :D warning everyone this morning about the impending forum closure. Thanks for that. Feel free to copy and paste the post above if that speeds thing up for you.
Thanks for the head's up guys. I joined Denis' FB group.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey MooSRI850: I decided to downloaded Spark. I had heard of it but never tried it. I really like it - thanks, inadvertently, for the tip!

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey MooSRI850: I decided to downloaded Spark. I had heard of it but never tried it. I really like it - thanks, inadvertently, for the tip!

Lisa

No problem! I like it because it will notify you of new mail without having to keep the app open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like the way it separates mail into categories. Very Nice.

Lia

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.