I just purchased a new Macbook Pro. Questions about security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I just purchased a Macbook Pro for someone as a gift. What steps should I take in order to educate this person on not getting viruses, malware or Trojans files on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
No known viruses in the Mac world so no virus protection software needed..

Recommended apps to install are Malwarebytes, Adblock Plus, Ghostery. You avoid trojans by being very careful about downloads!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
NEVER download from MacUpdate, CNET or Softonic. They have been known to ioclude various free little nasties.

For downloads, go to the developers web site.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
NEVER download from MacUpdate, CNET or Softonic. They have been known to ioclude various free little nasties.

For downloads, go to the developers web site.

Thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If this person is a new user educating them about security is difficult. Most of us have learned by error, either someone else's or our own. The things Sue Mentioned are very handy additions to your web browser and provide a measure of protection or repair but its no substitute for common sense.
Just impress upon this person that they should never click on a link in an unsolicited email. Any offer that's too good to be true is a scam. If you are unsure at all about anything you see or get sent don't open or click it. Never give any site permission to install anything on your device and never give anybody you dont know your email address or personal details. Get a disposable email address like @yahoo or similar to use with online purchase houses and you should be right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
cnet got me once on my windows 7 laptop. good site to avoid. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Malwarebytes is a great Malware app for any platform. Like was said above no True Virus's on the Mac as yet but some malware. Malwarebytes will take care of any if you ever get it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I might add Mac Keeper to the list of things to avoid like the plague. It just pops up occasionally and advises you to "clean" your Mac or "speed up" your mac. Once it's in your device it's difficult to remove. It's an invasive, insidious online app to be avoided at all costs. When it comes to third party apps and there are a lit of good ones always get them from the developer's site. Lastly backup your device. A clone using say Carbon Copy Cloner is ideal available from Bombich Software but even the native Time Machine may save your bacon one day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.