Sort and organize large photo files software

Reaction score
Hello am new to this forum and am in desperate need for a software on my mac that can sort and organize large photo files by date from different sources. I have a large photo library from backing up old phones. Am still an Android phone user. I don't mind paying up to 10 usd for a software.
Please help.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

We need a bit more info about your Mac (Model, year and Operating System for starters).

You say you already have "a large photo library". Where is this? On your Mac or elsewhere?

You could use the Photos app which comes free as part of the Mac OS. It will sort all your photos by date. You can also create Smart Albums based on lots of different criteria, including date or month or year etc.

So, over to you. Tell us more about your Mac and your general setup, please.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Hello Ian thank you for your warm welcome :)
To answer your questions: I have Macbook air 2011 recently upgraded to Sierra, Storage only 60 GB available 9 GB.
I have an External Hard drive that's where I save most my files.
My photo Library is on my Mac and external hard drive mostly from Cameras and phone back up.
Since I have very low Internal storage I can't store all my files on my mac. (Reminder to myself time for a new laptop :\)
Hope this will help.

Appreciate your time

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you for posting back. My time is your time.

Let me start, if I may, by pointing out the obvious: 9GB free out of 60GB is pushing it a bit if you want the OS (Sierra) to run efficiently. You need to free up some space.

Luckily this can be achieved in conjunction with your primary question about sorting out your photos:)

As you are running Sierra, I'm assuming that your photo library is "Photos" rather than "iPhoto"?

This is what I suggest for your consideration:

1. Move your Photos Library to an External Hard Drive (EHD). It could be to the EHD where you have your camera and phone backup - if there is plenty of space. Or acquire a new or other EHD. They are so cheap these days, in relative terms.

2. Your Photos Library can usually be found at Mac HD > Users > Your Name > Pictures > Photos Library.photoslibrary

3. I suggest you COPY it first to the EHD. Make sure it is there and working. Then, Delete it from the Mac. Lots of space created.

4. Import all your camera stuff and any other "loose" photos (on your Mac or other EHD or elsewhere) into the Photos Library.

5. Once all the pictures you have are in your Photos Library;

(a) you can sort them by Date (View > Sort); or (b) create an new empty album (File > New Empty Album), give it an name and Drag/Drop photos into it or (c) create a Smart Album (File > New Smart Album)

With a Smart Album, you can set any number of conditions to suit you needs. For example, here is a Smart Album I've concocted as an illustration:

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 15.30.06.png

In my example, it would include pictures a Trip To France, during 2017, and only showing Panorama photos. - you will see I have none; but you get the idea. You could choose "Holidays", named people (Faces), RAW files, pictures taken by a specific camera and so on.

6. Obviously you have to tell your Mac where to find your moved Library. To do this: Hold down the Option key and click on the Photos app. Choose "other library" and navigate to your EHD and select the Photos Library.

I think I've covered the basics, but if I've missed out any vital details, just ask.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.