Transfer Photoshop License, Windows to Mac OS-X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am seriously considering purchasing a Mac for the first time. I am a heavy Photoshop CS user on Windows at present. Photoshop of course is not cheap - about $US 650.00, and I am hoping that I don't have to re buy it for the Mac. Is there any way to transfer my Windows based Photoshop license to a Mac based copy? Perhaps I could buy the CS2 upgrade, and supply my license key from the Windows CS version? Some other idea?

Has anyone been through this process and have any suggestions? Moving from Windows to Mac is daunting enough without having to shell out another $650 to keep Photoshop up and running. Any and all suggestions much appreciated!

BTW, I am thinking of getting one of the 2 GHz dual core PowerMac G5s. From what I have seen, it will run rings around my single core 3 GHz Pentium IV. If anyone has any comparitive experience of these two machines, I would love to hear that too!

A

AMacSoon

mac57 said:
Photoshop of course is not cheap - about $US 650.00, and I am hoping that I don't have to re buy it for the Mac. Is there any way to transfer my Windows based Photoshop license to a Mac based copy? Perhaps I could buy the CS2 upgrade, and supply my license key from the Windows CS version? Some other idea?

There is no need to re-buy it. I'm currently performing this cross-grade for photoshop elements. Here is, how it works:

Write to support, telling them, that you have a valid licence and you want to switch to a mac.

They will need proof of purchase of the full version (!) and all upgrades that apply (see below for details)

They will send you a LOD (Letter of destruction), where yo have to confirm, that you have destroyed the old license along with all CDs and so forth.

You'll receive the new license and CD (or probably have to download it).

I currently do this for Photoshop Elements 4.0. I do own Photoshop Elements 3.0 full version and 4.0 Upgrade. Adobe needs the proof of purchase for 3.0 and 4.0.

HTH

Reaction score
Easy cross-platform switch

Like AMacSoon explained, it's a cross-platform switch. I just completed this switch for Acrobat and Photoshop CS2 (Windows platform over to the Mac). In my case, I called Adobe up and explained what I wanted to. Adobe verified my previous product registrations, then pointed me to the LoD link (Letter of Destruction). Once I had downloaded the LoD, I signed it and faxed it back. Adobe then sent me new, sealed retail box versions of both products. I was only charged for shipping (more than fair). Two days later I had the software in my hands.

Overall, great customer service from Adobe and painless process overall. ;)

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
EXCELLENT! This is so much better than I thought possible. Thanks everyone. I am on my way to owning a Mac!

A

AMacSoon

Contrary to Microsoft:

I called them yesterday in order to ask for a cross-plattform upgrade for Office (here is the conversation: in short)

Me: Hi! I own a full retail version of MS-Office for Windows and would like to perform a Cross-Plattform Upgrade to Microsoft MacOffice. Can I do that?
MS: Where did you buy your PC?
Me: Has nothing to do with a PC, I own a retail box.
MS: You have to ask your local PC dealer. We do not sell any software
Me: I know, but you are licensing it.
MS: No, Microsoft does not license Software. You have to ask your local PC-dealer

This is the short version. The call center agent tried to convince me, that you can only get Office and Windows with a new PC and that I have to contact my local dealer for all licensing questions.

I bet, he did not have a clue what I was talking about.

I think, therefore iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.