• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie '09 exports with audio glitches

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've recently edited my first movie in iMovie '09, I'm a complete novice to filming and editing and so far it's been horrendous (sorry to be dramatic but that's the truth). I'm aware iMovie '09 is very buggy, and I realise now that there is an update to iMovie '11, however I'm slightly nervous to update just in case it wrecks my current project (again, complete novice here). I didn't know any of this before starting the project, unlucky.

My movie includes some clips that are muted, speed has been slowed down on most clips*, music has been added and I've also overlayed audio. When I preview the movie in playback the audio it's 100% perfect, but once I've exported my movie as a .mov the sound is distorted. Muted clips are now unmuted and vice versa, but the biggest problem is that random bits of audio is being placed onto clips that the audio never originated from, it's from a different clip, perhaps in my library but I've not even used it in the project.

* I've only used standard speeds in my clips, I don't have any non-standard speeds so I don't think that could be the issue?

I identified the affected clips and did the following:
- Imported the entire distorted movie back into my library
- Muted the entire movie
- Put back all my audio overlays and music etc
- Exported it (it didn't seem to affect the quality)
= Still the same problem - random bits of audio creeping in. :Not-Amused:

Will upgrading to iMovie '11 solve this bug? I'm really nervous about loosing or ruining my project as the editing was very intricate and length-worthy. Will I have to update to Sierra as well?

Any help and advise would be so much appreciated, thank you in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Which version of MacOS are you using.

I would upgrade to iMovie11. As you say, iMovie09 was buggy. I stayed with iMovie06HD until iMovie11 came out. I would have stayed with iMovie11 but it didn't work well with El Capitan/Sierra.

Will I have to update to Sierra as well?
Not to use iMovie11.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.