How can I look at a film on a webpage and on youtube with my TV set ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
Hello.

I know of a film about a bike trip in Kirghizistan which is available on youtube at

<
> and also on Abeille-cyclotourisme website at

abeille-cyclotourisme/souvenirs/2017_kirghizistan_youtube.html> (outdated link removed).

When my son in law visits us one week from now, I want us to be able to view it on the Living room's TV set, rather that on a computer or tablet.

If it can help for a solution, I have an Apple TV 1st generation installed in the living room, but I am no longer able to connect this Apple TV to youtube (a Google company), for the reason that its security is very old and not to today's Google's standards.

If the Apple TV does not help, can I try an alternative route like downloading the film from youtube and watching it from the TV set ?

The TV set has HDMI and PC plugs but no USB and is not connected to the internet. The Apple TV has ethernet (RJ45), wifi and USB. TIA for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Have you tried using AirPlay? That would throw whatever is on your Mac (or even your iPad or iPhone, for more modern iDevices) to the AppleTV and then to the TV from there. The Apple TV should have some connection to the TV, probably an HDMI socket you didn't mention.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

OP
michelangelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake. I have not tried AirPlay. Everywhere I look on the internet, I see that AirPlay was never ported to the 1st generation Apple TV, even with third parties apps. I would love this route to be open to me.

Sorry I forgot to tell: The Apple TV is connected to the TV set by an HDMI cable. Simple enough. It has a hard drive, which means I can push to it from the Mac, or sync, any film present in my iTunes library or any podcast. It can also download slowly a film rented from the Apple Store for later viewing offline: perfect for my slow 2Mbps ADSL line.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think the following procedure will work assuming the video is not copy protected. Don't take what I am about to say as endorsing copyright infringement/violations.

1. Use software such as ClipGrab to download the video.
2. Add the video to your iTunes library.
3 You should now be able to play the file. See here for tips.

OP
michelangelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Slydude. The original is not copy protected. It was made by a friend living in the south of France after a bike trip in Kirghizistan. He presented it to us at our general assembly, uploaded it on youtube and I set the link to the Abeille-cyclotourisme website for everyone else to watch again within the bike club. Instead of buying a new Apple TV to have an airPlay-compatible device by my TV set (elaborating on Jake's suggestion), instead of asking my friend to send to me by internet or stagecoach this huge file (about 40 minutes in 720) I will follow the less-expensive route you suggest of downloading from youtube.

After reading your post, I looked on the internet for alternates and found two others (Kigo video downloader and Youtube downloader for mac), all free, all about the same size (30MB). ClipGrab is the only one to announce where it was manufactured (Germany) and to indicate an address and bank references for gifts. This helps reducing a fear I have after the Handbrake installers were found to be corrupt for a couple of days, modified by bad guys to play the ransomware game with mac users. I am afraid the original installers may have been modified by bad guys.

The usual cure for verifying the integrity of an installer is verifying its checksum. But I did not find it on ClipGrab (nor on any of the others). Any suggestion ?

And thanks for the great solution.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@michelangelo Didn't think you were up to anything nefarious but put that copyright info in there sort of as general info for future readers.

I have had ClipGrab on my system for a while now with no issues but I don't think I have seen any indication what the checksum is/should be. There are several programs that do this, including some that are browser extensions, so I'm sure there must be something out there that provides the info you are seeking. Sorry I can't be more help there. I don't use this kind of software often so I haven't been following that segment of the market.

OP
michelangelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Slydude and Ferrar. I was silent because I have realised my question opened a whole can of worms. The process you both suggest seems perfect and seems to be the only one available (except maybe a shortcut by plugging the mac directly to the TV set, but this is not today's question).

Downloading. The top voted post on Quora (I checked) states that downloading from youtube is illegal in the US and post voted #2 contradicts post #1. I live in France, away from the vagaries of US laws, but hostile to any form of cheating. I have contacted ClipGrab, which went recently to an HTTPs connection to prevent man-in-the-middle attempts, because a lot of illegal activity goes in the line of movies and the Handbrake installer for mac was recently compromised for nearly one week; I asked whether a checksum of the installer could be made available to give me comfort it is not compromised by some hidden bad hombres (to quote president Trump). The guy is German, I trust he will give weight to this question. I will wait another 48 hours.

Syncing or streaming through an Apple TV (1st generation). There, your link to a Dec 13, 2017 Apple official post was exactly what I needed, except I had done syncing a year ago and found it easy, except also that this post does not seem to work (for me, for others as well <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7857195>). According to my tests and to this thread on discussions.apple.com, these two features worked well until the infamous High Sierra update of iTunes from 16 to 17.2.58 (my version), whereby many formerly useful features of iTunes disappeared all of a sudden.

It seems probable that downloading and installing iTunes 16 (which I read somewhere Apple has made available for people who, like me, kept their iPhone Apps up-to date with iTunes rather that through direct downloading from their iPhones and iPads) is a cure for that. But there may be better cures that this, which is tantamount to remaining nailed to the past.

What I see here on iTunes is I still have an Apple TV reference from a rectangular menulet on the top left side of iTunes window, which features my computer, the Airport Express located in the living room and the Apple TV, each with a tick-on box, but I cannot access to the splash screen on the mac where to enter the five-digit code which my Apple TV produces and expects to receive from the mac for authentication. Authentication fails and the Apple TV remains unconnected to my iTunes Library (the one located on my mac, that is).

Apple's interests are safe, though. The Apple TV is still connected to my account at the iTunes store and can, in full autonomy from my mac, rent movies from the iTunes store. So my money can flow to Apple and I can watch paying movies located in the Cupertino servers, but I cannot watch free movies or photos located on my mac in my iTunes library.

Weird...

I will post my question on discussions.apple.com and possibly enlist the help of Apple in its majesty. The Apple technical assistance people are always helpful on the phone. About a year ago, I got this Apple TV 1st generation reconnected with the help of an apple person. Quite nice... I will then summarise here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Before getting a YouView TV box I used to connect my MBP to my TV with an HDMI cable watch Netflix on a bigger screen. Never worked out how to do it with computer closed, however.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Slydude. The original is not copy protected. It was made by a friend living in the south of France after a bike trip in Kirghizistan. He presented it to us at our general assembly, uploaded it on youtube and I set the link to the Abeille-cyclotourisme website for everyone else to watch again within the bike club.

I am not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, but your statement above suggests to me that there would be no copyright violation. It seems clear to e that the owner of the video was OK with members of the club seeing the file. The youtube site usually has a statement about what licenses/useage rights are associated with each video.

OP
michelangelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello. Time for report.

Downloading the file went perfectly. I used Handbrake to convert it into what they call Fast720p30 (720 px, 30 frames/sec) to make it as good as I could. Then I was stuck. I could load it on my iTunes library on the mac, but the path stopped cold there. I could view the film from the mac to the TV set with a minidisplay port cable to HDMI, but I do not have such a cable. On the Discussions.apple.com, it was said that Apple had abandoned (means "removed") support to the Apple TV 1st generation in iTunes in its High Sierra update. This statement was contradicted by the Apple paper dated 13 december which Jake and Slydude had found and suggested.

So I called Apple assistance, always helpful from their Dublin location. She confirmed that the forum is essentially correct and the Apple page dated 13 december is a probable Apple mistake on which she will report. She confirming receiving many phone calls similar to mine. Her information cannot be doubted. The old iTunes recognized the Apple TV 1st generation. The associated block of software has been removed by Apple from the iTunes software, which no longer recognises the Apple TV 1st generation. Summing up, the Apple TV 1st generation has been silently abandoned by Apple in its most recent release of iTunes, without telling anybody. The only way to do this coupling of the Apple TV and my iTunes library on my mac is to revert to an older version of iTunes, which means, practically (avoiding hacks to renew at each OS update), to revert to an older OS version. I have an external drive. I will extract from it a 200 Gig slice and install Sierra on it. I will then use it for the urgent matter I want to attend. Thereafter, I will stop maintaining this Sierra bootable partition and purchase a new Apple TV instead. Streaming *within my home network (between the mac and the Apple TV) will be possible so rented movies can be downloaded to may mac and thereafter streamed to the new Apple TV. But streaming from the internet is *not possible due to the feeble ADSL Bandwidth. In february, my internet will hopefully hike up from its current 2Mbps to over 6Mbps, which should be enough for streaming directly from the Apple iTunes Store. The whole story is quite expensive for me, I believe Apple could have spared us this pain at no cost to Apple. I am very unhappy. I hope this may help others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What about installing the old iTunes in a different location, leaving the most current one in place, then running it from there pointing to a different iTunes library, pull the video into that and then using AirPlay to get the playing? What I would do is to back up EVERYTHING before I tried it, but then try it. You don't have to roll back the OS.

Somewhere there is a link to the older iTunes, Apple made that possible for those who complained about some fo the "features" in the newest version. I don't have the link, but maybe someone will chime in with it for you.

OP
michelangelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about installing the old iTunes in a different location, leaving the most current one in place, then running it from there pointing to a different iTunes library,
I have not considered that ingenious solution. I have discussed with the Apple tech about uninstalling iTunes with a dangerous terminal command (I found the way to do that on internet), then removing the new iTunes library, finding the latest pre-update library, installing it in the stead of the new one and reinstalling iTunes in my system with an installer. She told me it was a hack (dangerous hack), feasible hack, which would work, but there woud be no way to prevent the updater from updating the software together with the next software update. She did not seem to suggest your solution as being a workable alternative.

When I received your post, I had already carved a 200 GB slice out of my external 2TB (the last compression task of Disk Utilities ran for a long part of the night), so I was nearly done since I have a flash installer of 10.12.3 with the old disk utility on it. I was committed. Had I not done so, I may have chickened out nevertheless. With macOS 6.07, there was no doubt. Now since the advent of macOS 10 and its Unix architecture, many addresses appear to be hard wired, I am afraid some unpredictable conflict coud exist between the two co-existing versions of iTunes.

pull the video into that and then using AirPlay to get the playing? What I would do is to back up EVERYTHING before I tried it, but then try it. You don't have to roll back the OS.
In fact, the Apple TV 1st generation pre-dates airplay and iCloud and no-one succeeded to implant Airplay on it (even with hacks, I have read). This may explain why this Apple TV got abandoned. But the old version of iTunes knows how to connect to the Apple TV 1st generation without using Airplay.

Somewhere there is a link to the older iTunes, Apple made that possible for those who complained about some fo the "features" in the newest version. I don't have the link, but maybe someone will chime in with it for you.
Yes I got this address and have the installer, but the route I am now following is installing the complete OS on a 200 GB slice of my external drive. The test it works will be tonight or tomorrow night.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.