Second Hand iBook G4 - Broke?

Reaction score
hey

a friend of mine as just been given an old ibook g4, the problem is is that it doesnt log in, even with the details he was given. i have tried using my g5 install cd's that i have from my machine, i dont know if these are cpu dependant tho? but i cant even get it to boot off the cd, or would this not happen if they are machine dependant? is there anything i can do? it would be nice to convert him to os x :D

thanks for any input

Fraser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
You can't use a restore CD from a differnt model, you need the retail Apple OS disk...or the ibook g4 restore disk.
If you plan to upgrade the computer to OSX, be sure there is enough ram installed, as the more you have, the snappier OS X will be. I'd say 384mb is minimum.

E

edge

The OS itself is not really processor dependant, short of Intel VS. PowerPC (These are different versions of the OS). However, what can happen, is some CDs packaged with certian systems have code built into the installer that checks to see which type of system you are installing on, and may not allow you to use it on anything other than what you bought it with.

This is *probably* not the case here. Try this: Put in the CD, then shut the system down. Hold down the "C" key and turn it back on. Continue to hold the "C" key Once you see the grey background with the dark grey apple and the pinwheel at the bottom (be sure to wait for the pinwheel to show up!), you can release the "C" key.

This should boot directly to the CD, unless there is a problem with the CD-ROM drive (also, make sure that your install disk is a type of disk that the drive can read. Is your install a DVD Disc? If so, the disc drive on the computer must be able to read DVDs -- if not, it wont boot).

OP
F
Reaction score
thank u, we had tried holding the C key down but not exactly as u said so ill tell my friend to try that.

i am now wondering whether the laptop does have a dvd-rom drive, ive not been into macs very long so im unsure as to how old this one is but if anyone can point me in the correct direction, its white and rather square'ish looking with a apple logo on the lid that glows blue when on. is there a chance this doesnt have a dvd drive?

thanks for your input, really appreciate it.

Fraser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If it's an iBook G4 it should do (unless it was from a school - they had cd-rom only drives available as an option).

OP
F
Reaction score
i have to admit we are a tad confused as to where it came from :S so thanks for letting me know about the cd-rom in school ones. im hoping for my mate to bring the mac round mine later so i can have more of a poke around and see what i can do.

thanks for the help

Fraser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if he's at your house, try this:

Put the DVD in your Powermac's drive and then reboot and hold down 'T'.
Then connect your machine to his via a firewire cable and hold down the 'option/alt' key when the iBook boots up.
You should see a select of drives to boot from: His internal drive, your internal drive and your dvd drive.

He should be able to boot off your DVD and then you can reset the password from the tools menu in the menu bar.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks for that, very usful information. he will be comming over later so i will give that a try, just quickly, can this method be used with a network cable instead of firewire? i only have 1 firewire cable and it is large to small and im unsure as to the size of the ibooks firewire socket.

Regards

Fraser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No:
PowerPC based machines can only boot from internal or firewire drives.
Intel based macs will also boot from USB.

I think there is a way to boot off a network volume, but not with the method I described.
The iBook also has a full sized firewire connector, so you'll either need an adapter or a different cable.

Alternatively you could try copying the content of the dvd to a firewire enabled iPod if you have one and try booting off there...

OP
F
Reaction score
aaa thats an interesting method, unfortunatly its about as easy to get hold of an ipod as it is a new firewire lead at the moment lol but i will see what i can do. great information, i have been meaning to do sum reading on basic troubleshooting for mac but i think u have pretty much tought me the basics :) thanks

Regards

Fraser

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.