App missing after iphone restore from backup!

Reaction score
Hi, I backed up my iPhone 7 plus a month ago via iTunes. After completely wiping all the data on it, I tried restoring it. Everything worked perfectly, until I noticed one app was missing - an app for offline music streaming. I know it's against the App Store policy so that's probably why it's not available there anymore, but why is it not restoring from my backup since I had it downloaded? (since you can download anything from your purchase history, even if it has since been removed from the App Store)

Furthermore, I tried restoring from the same backup once again. As soon as I got into the home screen, I could see the app (it's icon and name), but it was greyed out, like it was about to download. Then a notification asked me for my apple id password. As soon as I entered it, the app disappeared.

Please help, I really value this app and would like to find a way to restore it. Thank you.

P.S. It's important to note that the said app is NOT in my purchased list in the app store. I don't know why, as I'm sure I downloaded it with this Apple ID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I know it's against the App Store policy so that's probably why it's not available there anymore, but why is it not restoring from my backup since I had it downloaded? (since you can download anything from your purchase history, even if it has since been removed from the App Store)

It not working because that's the way Apple does things and using their methods and apps. Sorry.

If they remove something it's gone!!

And also, Apple's backup method only backsup certain stuff or maybe a link, which isn't much help if and when they remove the original so it can't be downloaded, cause it just ain't there.

BTW: In the future, and to keep all your stuff, data and apps properly, use an application like iMazing.app that does.

Sorry, it's the Apple method… unless something else has screwed up or not working properly…

Maybe some other member will come to your rescue but I have my doubts.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There may be several reasons the app is no longer available to you:

1. It's a 32 bit app. 32 bit apps will not run in iOS 11 and later.

2. The app is no longer approved by Apple and has been removed from the App Store. That will also remove it from your purchased list. If you did not download and save the app on your Mac using iTunes, it's probably gone forever.

I have several apps that are in the same category but I have copies saved on my Mac and can always reload them on my iPhone or iPad as long as they are not 32 bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32 bit apps will not run in iOS 11 and later.

Ahhh yes, I'd forgotten about that little detail fact — another iOS "new & improved feature" I suspect. :Confused:

But a valid point for some to consider if and when "upgrading".

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
The latest Beta of iOS11 has removed the Videos App, presumably not needed now we have the TV App?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The latest Beta of iOS11 has removed the Videos App, presumably not needed now we have the TV App?

BTW: Shouldn't posts about BETA OSs be posted in their own thread and labelled accordingly?? At least just MHO.

After all, they aren't really proper and officially released versions for the General Public's use and often not complete. But at least the testers won't need to bother testing the Videos App, but maybe it just works perfectly. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Good point, although the latest live version has now done the same :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point, although the latest live version has now done the same :)

It seems according to this site, it disappeared some time ago, but just for some in some countries:
The Videos app you previously used to access your movies from is no longer available in countries where the TV app is available. … …
https://www.imore.com/how-find-movies-tv-shows-iphone-ipad

I guess that could add another thing to check or add when forum problem solving — like, "where do you live", added to "what mac…OS ???" etc.

BTW Apple etc: Where's the list of the countries where the TV app is or is not available in case someone needed or wanted to know or is that against some Movie Consortium's or ISP's Internet policy???

Ol' Curmudgeon, :Smirk:
- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.