Connecting 2 monitors to my G5. Please Help!

M

Mattiolico

Hi, I'm trying to connect 2 monitors in to my MAC 1.8 G5.
My MAC has 2 video ports - 1 ADC and 1 DVI

So I'm connecting one monitor straight to the ADC port and the second one through a DVI to ADC adapter ($99 one) to the DVI port.

My problem: I cannot get the display connected to the adapter/DVI port work even if it's only one monitor at the time. Do I need to change any settings to support the adapter? Maybe the DVI video card is damaged?

Facts : Both monitors are 17" Apple Studio Display CRT (the crystal clear ones) with ADC connectors and they both are tested and work perfectly through the ADC port.
The adapter was tested in another MAC/Monitor and it's fully functional too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I know that the 17" CRT Studio Displays can't be used with a Mac mini, even with the ADC-to-DVI-adaptor...It is very possible that this particular screen isn't compatible with the adapter at all.

OP
M

Mattiolico

Hi Avalon and Badger, thanks for replying!

There was an attempt also to connect only 1 monitor at the time.

Monitor - DVI/ADC adapter - DVI port (it powers but no image shows up)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I am pretty sure that monitor isn't compatible with the DVI-to ADC-adaptor. If you have the possibility, try to hook it up on an other computer with DVI. It should work even on a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Badger said:
There is a brief reference in an Apple spec sheet that only "some" of the video cards on the G5 are able to support two monitors. See: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86504, scroll down to note 5. Sorry but I can't find anything more specific.

Actually, I think that with "some PowerMac G5" they mean that some are equipped with one ADC and one DVI port, while others have two DVI ports, depending on the graphics card.

There's no PowerMac that can't drive 2 displays simultanously from stock since the Sawtooth, or maybe the Digital Audio...well, since a long while :cool:

OP
M

Mattiolico

I'll try to borrow a newer studio display with ADC connector and use the adpter on the DVI port.
The funny thing is that I asked somebody before at the apple store if the monitor was compatible with the adapter and they said I wouldn't have a problem :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.