Open Office

Reaction score
I heard about this free word processor called Open Office, and I hear it is very good. I downloaded it but I can't seem to install it. Every time I double click the file in the dmg It just bounces on the dock and then goes away after a couple of seconds. How do I install it?

thank you very much!

Reaction score
I'm guessing by your post count that you aren't a newbie so you know that you need to look at "drive" that gets mounted on your desktop when you open the dmg.

Anyway, I'm guessing maybe a corrupt dmg? try downloading again?

OP
B
Reaction score
i have tried to download it from a few different sites, apple's, open office.org, and another random download site. All of them do the same thing. I heard from somewhere about X11 which might help but I have yet to find out about it.

thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
boarderjosh10 said:
i have tried to download it from a few different sites, apple's, open office.org, and another random download site. All of them do the same thing. I heard from somewhere about X11 which might help but I have yet to find out about it.

thanks

Which version of MAC OSX are you running? I know with Tiger you put in the DVD and when it mounts on the desktop, open it and look for Optional Installs. Run it and expand it and only put a checkmark by X11. That will install X11 and then Open Office should run fine. Be sure to drag the application out of the little drive that the DMG mounts to your Applications folder.

This thread here on Mac Forums might help you.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33400&page=2&highlight=optional+installs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
You most likely need X11 installed (but I still don't know how to do that so I can't help ya there). Alternatively, there's NeoOffice, which currently only works on PPC macs (not intel macs yet) and it's based on the openoffice.org code but made to be for mac - with the aqua menus and everything. Openoffice is great - NeoOffice is openoffice for mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah you can try NeoOffic which doesn't have the X11 dependency and it works a little more smoothly with the Mac then OpenOffice does, with fonts and so forth, but OO is a bit more advanced due to NeoOffice being based on OO, but does have that X11 dependency.. so pick your poison :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
When you install Apple's X11, does it slow the system down any? Does it always run alongside whatever graphics environment Mac uses? As a switcher from Linux, I would love to get X11 running, and then some Darwinports or Fink stuff to take advantage of it, but I am leary of slowing my machine down. So, when you install Apple's X11, does it have any noticable impact on your machine?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mac57 said:
When you install Apple's X11, does it slow the system down any? Does it always run alongside whatever graphics environment Mac uses? As a switcher from Linux, I would love to get X11 running, and then some Darwinports or Fink stuff to take advantage of it, but I am leary of slowing my machine down. So, when you install Apple's X11, does it have any noticable impact on your machine?

Not at all. It only runs when Open Office or The Gimp launch. Otherwise it's not needed and not running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.