Power Mac 5400/180

B

bptba93

Ok i upgraded it from os 8.6 to 9.1 When i tried to get on the internet it said no server or whatever. So i went the the TCP/IP control panel and it said "The previsoly selected connection "Ethernet", is not avalible. The connection has been changed to apple talk (mac ip)." What happended? Is there drivers for the Ethernet card i have for 9.1? I would have to look at it to see the model and junk if there is not a universal one.

Hope someone could help me!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It has been a long time, since I used OS 9. I believe there is. Be sure to check the that the ethernet extension is enabled also.

OP
B

bptba93

rman said:
It has been a long time, since I used OS 9. I believe there is. Be sure to check the that the ethernet extension is enabled also.
k let me see (gotta wait for the old thing to load) if the ethernet extension is enabled.

OP
B

bptba93

everything is on. You use extensions manager right? There all is selected. I didn't find a ethernet extension anyway
EDIT: Could the driver be on the disk?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
bptba93 said:
everything is on. You use extensions manager right? There all is selected. I didn't find a ethernet extension anyway
EDIT: Could the driver be on the disk?

It's been a long time since I messed with that Machine, Does it have a built in Nic or are you using an after market NIC card?

If it's Built in it should work fine in OS9.

Going to do some research on your machine. Will be back.

Found your Machine. The 5400/180 Did not have a built in NIC. So I take it it's a PCI Nic card in the PCI slot. Do you know what card is in the Machine? I am thinking since it worked before that maybe 9.1 does not like your driver.

OP
B

bptba93

dtravis7 said:
It's been a long time since I messed with that Machine, Does it have a built in Nic or are you using an after market NIC card?

If it's Built in it should work fine in OS9.

Going to do some research on your machine. Will be back.

Found your Machine. The 5400/180 Did not have a built in NIC. So I take it it's a PCI Nic card in the PCI slot. Do you know what card is in the Machine? I am thinking since it worked before that maybe 9.1 does not like your driver.

i have noo idea i can rip it out and look though. Yea it's in the pci slot

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
bptba93 said:

Reason I ask is if I know what Card/Chipset it is I might be able to find you the correct driver that will work with OS9. Let me know what you find. I had a fight once with another old power mac and some after market Nic. I ripped it out and went with a Kingston and it was happy.

OP
B

bptba93

bptba93 said:
I can't tell but it has a cable looking deal on it like where you plug in a coxial cable but they don't fit and it doesn't say what kind of card it is. In os9 it shows some info about it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bptba93 said:
I can't tell but it has a cable looking deal on it like where you plug in a coxial cable but they don't fit and it doesn't say what kind of card it is. In os9 it shows some info about it.

Sounds like an OLD 10Base-T Combo Card. Does that main CHIP on the card have a brand name on it?

OP
B

bptba93

there is a winbond chip and a yes chip that says NetWare Tested and approved also some ycl chips

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bptba93 said:
there is a winbond chip and a yes chip that says NetWare Tested and approved also some ycl chips

It's the Winbond one I was interested in. Will do some looking after dinner and get back to you.

OP
B

bptba93

would it help if i took the card out of the mac and put it in a pc to find out the model number?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bptba93 said:
would it help if i took the card out of the mac and put it in a pc to find out the model number?

It would if Windows picks it up and has a driver for it. Can you get me the numbers on the Winbond chip? Trying to find an OS9 Driver for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
check the appletalk control pannel and see if you can disable appletalk on the ethernet connection.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On all my old Macs with OS 9 I have AppleTalk set to Ethernet and it in no way affects it on the Internet with TCP/IP.

Still looking for a driver. No luck on that card so far.

OP
B

bptba93

dtravis7 said:
On all my old Macs with OS 9 I have AppleTalk set to Ethernet and it in no way affects it on the Internet with TCP/IP.

Still looking for a driver. No luck on that card so far.

ok just keep lookin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
jhelm007 said:
check the appletalk control pannel and see if you can disable appletalk on the ethernet connection.
appletalk is not a mac issue for internet it is a third party equipment issue. many routers will not pass an appletalk signal. in nearly all cases this doesnot interfere with TCP/IP, but in some cases if apple talk is on with third part cards the TCP/IP signal gets staticky because of AT pings that it doesn't know what to do with... as you say... never a problem with most macs b/c they are made to work that a way. Anyways its just something to try. All of the NICs I've used with macs(maybe 3-4) didn't require drivers even in OS 8 and 9 (one of them was manufactured by apple though).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.