Question about the Red iPhone 7 and the iPhone 10 please

Reaction score
Hello,

Quick overview. I recently got the new iPhone 8 regular 4.7 inch size. A few days after that my mother called me and ask me if I wanted her new iPhone 8 Plus as she decided to go back to her iPhone 6s Plus. She’s really not a big smart phone user and she said she liked the home button better on the 6s so I said sure I’ll take it and at the time I planned on keeping it and swapping back and forth but since then I’ve not one time used it. So I’m still under the exchange policy and my question is this. Should I wait until the 10 is off back order and exchange it for a silver 256g or should I get the phone I’ve wanted ever since I first saw it which is the iPhone 7 Red limited edition? I know these are two drastically different devices but I absolutely love Red and I love that iPhone. Would I be making a huge mistake if I got the Red 7 in 256g over the Silver 10 256g? I just needed to hear some thoughts and advice from others point of views on this situation I’m in. If I get the Red 7 I get it now or in just a couple days and if I get the silver 10 it’s currently on back order without a firm date of when it will be available for me to get. They at least extended my 30 day return policy out until the 10 becomes readily available for purchase as they cannot place a preorder based off an exchange for some reason so leaves me having to wait until they have a few in stock non pre orders. I’m with Xfinity mobile so they way down the pole on how fast they get the 10s in stock meaning the larger carriers get them way before Xfinity does and I don’t mind the wait but it is more the decision or best over decision I am faced with. Anyone have any advice or suggestions to help guide me to the best overall decision? I will be swapping back and forth between the two devices on a regular basis. I’ve totally customized my iPhone 8 so I’ll be leaving the 10 or Red 7 totally stock. Thanks for any feedback or help on this. I greatly appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well if it is all about the color then get the red. BUT - the 7 is actually slower than the 8. You might not notice the difference but the 8 is faster. Now as for the iPhone X... I have one and I love it. Why? (And this is all based on my opinion):

1. It is crazy fast - really fast.
2. I have hard to read fingerprints so for me, the Face ID is awesome. It learns and the two times it has hesitated and required a pin, I had on large dark sunglasses and the other time I was not looking directly at the screen. It has corrected now for the sunglasses and I have learned to look at the screen directly.
3. I love the swipe - did I mention it is fast? I do not miss hitting the button to go back to the home screen. It took me a couple of hours and I was totally use to swiping.
4. Pictures - I took a picture side by side with a friend who had a 6s+ and the difference was obvious. My picture had better color, contrast, and clarity - hands down.
5. Animogies(?) are very fun to play with. My favorite is the panda.
6. I went from a 7+ to the X. I did not think I would like downsizing. So far I like that it fits my hand well and the narrower width is not proving to be that big of a deal.
I am not sure if they will come out with an iPhone X+ (rumor is they are) but if they do I might get one. We shall see.

I got the slate grey 256GB and I like the color. I do wish they had other colors as I love goal and I totally get liking the red - my second choice. Maybe when they offer the next version there will be more colors offered.

Lisa

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey Lisa thank you. I am now leaning towards just waiting on the X. I was so on the fence because I’m such a fan of red. Your post really helps. Now I do want the X just because it’s drastically different. I’ll keep you updated on my final decision. Thank you so much for your help.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I bought a red 7 (128gb) about five months ago. It's a gorgeous colour, a really beautiful object with a silky smooth feel and it does all I want of it. However, it's essential to have a back cover (at least) for any phone to protect the finish and provide a bumper for the edge. You can get covers for any model in any colour you wish. I have a red sparkly one.

The decision is what is more important to you - colour or specifications - because the X is obviously more advanced. If you choose the X, get a red cover.

OP
D
Reaction score
I bought a red 7 (128gb) about five months ago. It's a gorgeous colour, a really beautiful object with a silky smooth feel and it does all I want of it. However, it's essential to have a back cover (at least) for any phone to protect the finish and provide a bumper for the edge. You can get covers for any model in any colour you wish. I have a red sparkly one.

The decision is what is more important to you - colour or specifications - because the X is obviously more advanced. If you choose the X, get a red cover.

Well I just got off the phone with Xfinity Mobile and after a long conversation with a manger I decided to actually go with the Red iPhone 7 in a 256g. I really wanted the X but he tolls me a couple things that helped me with my decision which were my thoughts too. One, it would January before I were to get my X if I ordered now because they are back ordered so long. Two, the X is the first generation and it could be better if I waited to the second gen iPhone X as there are and will be bugs to be worked out and personally I’m hoping the second gen X will have a on screen haptic Touch ID home button that is virtual. I’m not sold on only face recognition as the only way to unlock my iPhone. I personally like the second gen tough ID a lot and I don’t see Apple ever totally doing away with it. So I’m going to wait and see what the second gen iPhone X brings to the table. Three, I had a short stint with android for a year and a half staying there longer than I intended to but got addicted to buying and selling different phones to test out new gear then write about them. I remember while being with android seeing the Red iPhone 7 for the first time and I knew I wanted it. I actually at first before I got my iPhone 8 was going to get it instead as I did not know that I would have the opportunity to have two iPhones. Lastly all my accessories for the 8 will fit the 7 and vice verse. So my new Much desired Red iPhone 7 should arrive by Tuesday and I can wait. I’m going to order a Zagg luxe carbon back full coverage screen protector for it charging thr front from white to black or I’m simply going to order a Red custom home button for it and leave the white front like it is. I haven’t decided yet. The main thing is while I had the opportunity to get the limited edition Red iPhone in a 256g I thought it was best to go that route as it will certainly retain its value being limited quantity were made and only made for half a year at that. I’m actually surorised that my carrier even had any left in stock and they were sold out of the plus model which I’m not a fan of plus model iPhones at all. I like the 4.7 inch size as they are so much easier to carry around and use with one hand. Hopefully I made the right decision but I really don’t think there was a right or wrong rather what I wanted and to be honest I wanted both equally but I could only get one and knowing the X will always be there where the limited edition wont I decided to get the Red 7 because once they are gone they are gone for good. I’ll end up keeping the Red 7 probably forever too as Red is my all time favorite color so it’s the ultimate looking iPhone to me plus im just not ready to give up my home button and Touch ID just yet. Once I’m forced to then I’ll have to. I’ve always liked the 4.7 inch design of when it came out in the iPhone 6. It’s become an iconic design which is why they have stayed with for four years now. I’m not sure if they will stay with it next year but at least I’ll have two basically brand new iPhones in my favorite design which I’ll be swapping my SIM card back and forth between the Red 7 and my custom 8. After 12 months I’ll get a free upgrade and at that point I’ll end up getting the X model hopefully in the second gen. I’ll post pictures of my custom mods I do to the Red iPhone 7 when it arrives Tuesday.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@David:

Good forum etiquette dictates that when you post, post in paragraphs with line spaces between. Your post above is what is known as a "wall of text". Most folks on a busy forum will not even read thru it.

Just a friendly tip from your friendly Administrator. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
No problem. I’ll be sure to intergrate paragraphs within my posts. I write for a living but for some reason when I guess per say blog post I don’t even think about paragraphs as I do when I write my professional reports. Thanks for the heads up on that and I will make sure to be aware of that when I get long winded as I typically do when I post or blog.

On a side note I feel pretty good now about my decision in regard to going with the Red limited edition iPhone 7. I know overall it’s a downgrade but I totally skipped the 7 model because that was when I had my short stint with android mainly out of curiosity to see what android was like and I ended up staying with them much longer than I intended. Now that I’m fully back to Apple I could not be more happy. Not that I’m degrading android in any way but there is a major difference between the two operating systems.

For instance the iPhone 8 I’m currently on is much more fast than the 835 Snapdragon processor I had when I owned the Samsung S8 which I believe it had 4 gig of ram to run sonewhat efficiently where the iPhobe 8 4.7 inch only requires 2 gigs of ram and is just so totally perfectly optimized. Most of the android phones I tried out would stutter and become choppy and sticky, especially when you had a lot of open apps running in the background. Plus you couple that with the heavy skins different companies use on top of android and overall that just seemed to bog the system down.

Apple just somehow is able to produce an operating system that is so smooth and fluid and it’s a pleasure to use every day. I also like that Apple allows you to pair all your devices up with each other so like I’m able to text from any device I have or make and receive calls right from my iPad. I hope one day soon to finally get a Mac book that I’ve wanted for quite a few years now but Apple is quite expensive and now just coming back to Apple I now have a brand new iPad Pro 9.7 that I caught on a flash sale on Black Friday from amazon, my new iPhone 8 and then on the way the Red iPhone 7 which that device I plan to keep for collection purposes since it was a limited edition and especially since my favorite color is Red.

I just ordered a matte finish clear skin for it from Slickwraps earlier and a white full coverage Zagg screen protector called luxe. I have a carbon black one on my 8 with a Red skin and a Red home button. I plan to customize my home button on the iPhone 7 to blue and I also ordered a blue camera protector for the Red 7 and I will also change the apple logo to blue as well as I’m after a Red and subtle blue theme. I don’t mind the white front as I’ve seen so many reviews on the Red 7 where a lot of people stated that Apple should have produced the Red 7 with a black front. I personally like the white which will be change from my black iPhone 8.

My plan is to not have two lines but rather just swap my SIM card back forth from time to time to change it up every once in a while which will be a lot of fun to do. So far I absolutely love the iPhone 8 so I’m curious if I’ll see a major difference in overall performance between the 7 and 8 which I really don’t expect in real world view to be much of a difference. I just remember while being over with android seeing tbat Red iPhone 7 and wanting to get so badly but at that time I was totally invested in android and couldn’t afford to have both. I’m just glad to be back with Apple again but it was fun to see how android was like and get the experience of it for a year in a half. I do know that I doubt I’ll ever go back now but I don’t say that in a negative way about android rather I personally prefer Apple IOS much more than android.

I’ll post some pictures of my iPhone 7 Red once I’m done adding the blue accents to it on here. I appreciate the interaction here on this forum and I look forward to learning and posting more on the other forum types as well. I’ve created a YouTube channel and I’m curt preparing my first video to publish soon which should be a lot of fun but I wanted to experience android and know just as well as I do Apple before I started publishing my Vlogs. Anyways thanks for having me here on your forums. I definitely look forward to the positive interaction which I’ve already received in such a short amount of time here. Thank you to all for your advice and responses.

OP
D
Reaction score
No problem. I’ll be sure to intergrate paragraphs within my posts. I write for a living but for some reason when I guess per say blog post I don’t even think about paragraphs as I do when I write my professional reports. Thanks for the heads up on that and I will make sure to be aware of that when I get long winded as I typically do when I post or blog.

On a side note I feel pretty good now about my decision in regard to going with the Red limited edition iPhone 7. I know overall it’s a downgrade but I totally skipped the 7 model because that was when I had my short stint with android mainly out of curiosity to see what android was like and I ended up staying with them much longer than I intended. Now that I’m fully back to Apple I could not be more happy. Not that I’m degrading android in any way but there is a major difference between the two operating systems.

For instance the iPhone 8 I’m currently on is much more fast than the 835 Snapdragon processor I had when I owned the Samsung S8 which I believe it had 4 gig of ram to run sonewhat efficiently where the iPhobe 8 4.7 inch only requires 2 gigs of ram and is just so totally perfectly optimized. Most of the android phones I tried out would stutter and become choppy and sticky, especially when you had a lot of open apps running in the background. Plus you couple that with the heavy skins different companies use on top of android and overall that just seemed to bog the system down.

Apple just somehow is able to produce an operating system that is so smooth and fluid and it’s a pleasure to use every day. I also like that Apple allows you to pair all your devices up with each other so like I’m able to text from any device I have or make and receive calls right from my iPad. I hope one day soon to finally get a Mac book that I’ve wanted for quite a few years now but Apple is quite expensive and now just coming back to Apple I now have a brand new iPad Pro 9.7 that I caught on a flash sale on Black Friday from amazon, my new iPhone 8 and then on the way the Red iPhone 7 which that device I plan to keep for collection purposes since it was a limited edition and especially since my favorite color is Red.

I just ordered a matte finish clear skin for it from Slickwraps earlier and a white full coverage Zagg screen protector called luxe. I have a carbon black one on my 8 with a Red skin and a Red home button. I plan to customize my home button on the iPhone 7 to blue and I also ordered a blue camera protector for the Red 7 and I will also change the apple logo to blue as well as I’m after a Red and subtle blue theme. I don’t mind the white front as I’ve seen so many reviews on the Red 7 where a lot of people stated that Apple should have produced the Red 7 with a black front. I personally like the white which will be change from my black iPhone 8.

My plan is to not have two lines but rather just swap my SIM card back forth from time to time to change it up every once in a while which will be a lot of fun to do. So far I absolutely love the iPhone 8 so I’m curious if I’ll see a major difference in overall performance between the 7 and 8 which I really don’t expect in real world view to be much of a difference. I just remember while being over with android seeing tbat Red iPhone 7 and wanting to get so badly but at that time I was totally invested in android and couldn’t afford to have both. I’m just glad to be back with Apple again but it was fun to see how android was like and get the experience of it for a year in a half. I do know that I doubt I’ll ever go back now but I don’t say that in a negative way about android rather I personally prefer Apple IOS much more than android.

I’ll post some pictures of my iPhone 7 Red once I’m done adding the blue accents to it on here. I appreciate the interaction here on this forum and I look forward to learning and posting more on the other forum types as well. I’ve created a YouTube channel and I’m curt preparing my first video to publish soon which should be a lot of fun but I wanted to experience android and know just as well as I do Apple before I started publishing my Vlogs. Anyways thanks for having me here on your forums. I definitely look forward to the positive interaction which I’ve already received in such a short amount of time here. Thank you to all for your advice and responses.

My Red limited edition iPhone 7 was supposed to have arrived today but was delayed by fedex to my luck. I was so thrilled to think i was going to be getting it today but as of right now I’m supposed to be picking up in the morning at fedex instead of them delivering it. Tracking still hasn’t changed but she told me it would be ready at 9 in the morning so it better be. I can’t wait to see it in person for the first time.

If someone can tell me how to resize my photos on my iPad Pro I’ll post pictures of it and my customized iPhone 8 tomorrow.

OP
D
Reaction score
My Red 7 arrived today!! Absolutely love it. It’s actually a lot lighter than my 8 is which I knew it would be but didn’t think I’d really be able to tell a difference but I actually do. I’m using it now to type this post.

Tomorrow my skin will arrive for it which I’ve decided to change up my iPhone 8s look now as I don’t want two Red phones so what I think I’m going to do is put the Red skin I have coming on my Red 7 and then order a matte black skin for my 8 with a Red Apple logo and Red home button. My Red 7 I think I’m going to add some blue accents to it so I think the Apple logo on it will be Blue with a blue home button and blue camera protector. The black 8 will also have a Red camera protector.

So my 8 will primarily be carbon black with Red accents and my Red 7 will be Red and white with Blue accents. That should give me a huge change in color between the two as I plan to swap out back and forth every once in a while. My goal is to keep my Red 7 in brand new condition as I’m going to keep it for a long time to come to see what type of value it will have in a few years from now being that it was produced as a limited run. Once they sell out that’ll be it for them and I want mine to remain new looking. I’ll end upgrading my 8 after 12 months anyway to the X model.

OP
D
Reaction score
Here are a few quick pictures of my new Red iPhone 7 partially customized. I’ve got the white front Zagg luxe screen protector on it with a Red home button which that might change to Blue. Not sure yet. The back actually will be protected by aonother Red color skin or a matte color clear skin. The Apple logo will change to blue. The camera protector will be blue and as well as possibly the home button. 049034B3-DFA5-4BDE-A801-4D2F7BFC765A.jpeg AF909E83-AADC-415A-B42A-0ECC547F71FC.jpeg C5AFAF27-7626-4454-9003-D8A56C52A2E4.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Looks nice. I don't tend to do any customizing of any of my electronics. The most I do is purchase a case for my iPhone. I prefer a leather wallet style to offer maximum protection. My phone has become an essential device but I only need one. Shifting between two or more devices would be a headache for me. I do have a friend who does that. For some reason moving his phone number back and forth between devices does not bother him. He also loves to customize and change things up. It all looks great though.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm hoping that the rumors of a new and better iPhone SE are true and that Apple will release it next year. If they do, I'll probably buy one and switch back and forth between that and my 7+. I like the larger screen of the 7+ but dislike its overall size and weight. The SE size is great for what a phone is suppose to do - you know, like make phone calls and answer them. ;)

Besides, I have my 10.5" iPad Pro for making presentations and doing Bible studies for our ministry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.