• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Value-added tax?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.9 GHz 17"
Hi!

I was thinking of ordering one of the new Intel macs, but then I compared the prices that are in Estonia and the prices that are on the Apple's website. Well, the difference was huge - about 7000 EEK, which is about 569 USD. So here is the question: Apple's website price is final or it doesn't include value-added tax, sales tax or what so ever?

PS: if this is in wrong section, then sorry that I put this in wrong section.

Greetings,
dr4cula

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Apple's prices on the US store are without VAT, as the VAT is not the same in every state (just like in the EU, where each country still has it's own VAT).

But the difference isn't only VAT, but also what I would call the "localization tax". Apple's prices in Europe (excluding VAT) are higher than in the US, which they justify for the higher shipment costs, localized keyboards, documentation, packaging and power plug.

But that is still cheaper than ordering it in the US, because you would have to pay an additional import tax. That means you would pay more, and it comes with american keyboard, documentation and power plug, means you need to add the price of a new keyboard and plug (the english doc shouldn't be a problem).

What you can do is buy in an EU country that has lower VAT than yours. For example, a 17" iMac costs 1156.20€ without VAT. In Belgium, that's 1399,- (21% VAT) and in Luxembourg it's 1329.63 (15% VAT).
As you pay the VAT in the country in which you buy it, you can make some economies, as long as it doesn't leave the EU.

Think about it on your next vacation... :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The US does not have VAT. We do have sales tax, which varies from state to state, and is roughly anywhere from 5% to 9% of the purchase price. Not all states have sales tax. Not all online purchases are subject to sales tax, depending on where the business lists their home office. Apple charges the standard California 8.75% for all on-line transactions within the 50 United States. Apple stores will charge whatever the state sales tax is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
baggss said:
Apple charges the standard California 8.75% for all on-line transactions within the 50 United States. Apple stores will charge whatever the state sales tax is.

And just to further clarify, California sales tax is 7.25%, but various local governments tack on extra. My town jacks it up to 7.75%, but the hippies (JOKE :) )over in the SF Bay Area (where Apple is located, and is probably were to 8.75% comes from) have much higher rates. Apple's website says that they charge sales tax based on the shipping address, not the local California rate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, that's cool, so you would only pay the tax based on where you live, not where Apple is based. I live in SoCal and it 8.75% here too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
baggss said:
The US does not have VAT. We do have sales tax, which varies from state to state, and is roughly anywhere from 5% to 9% of the purchase price. Not all states have sales tax. Not all online purchases are subject to sales tax, depending on where the business lists their home office. Apple charges the standard California 8.75% for all on-line transactions within the 50 United States. Apple stores will charge whatever the state sales tax is.

Thank you for clarification. I'm not that much informed about the US tax system. Nevertheless, it's still much lower than over here, Luxemburg having one of the lowest tax in Europe is at 15% (just to compare: France 19.6%, Belgium 21%, Germany 16% going to be raised soon).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, it's 16% over here...
In our shop, I'm constantly asked why Apple "rips" people off with higher prices over here, because a large number of people don't realize that the Applestore website's prices don't include sales tax and the largest part of the increase is due to the VAT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
MAC-simus said:
VAT = 25% in Sweden :mad:
Yeah, but you guys have perfect healthcare, schools etc. so it's all swings & roundabouts I suppose :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
Aptmunich said:
Yeah, but you guys have perfect healthcare, schools etc. so it's all swings & roundabouts I suppose :)

We better do, as 25-35% of income goes in taxes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.