Should I be worried?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
Sorry, maybe that is how it should work, but it doesn't always. I was having trouble with my first install of HS and created a root user. On boot up it listed root along with all the other users in the list of users on the boot screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Csmac, I think what you did was different. You created a user named "root" that you gave either standard or admin privileges to. Hence, it shows up on the boot login screen. The root user the bug is about is the internal, very powerful, root user, also called "super user," that has even more access than an admin account. Basically, root (the internal one) can do ANYTHING to the system, for ANY user, at ANY time. And that root user is rarely invoked, even by the Apple techs. Here is some information on the root user: http://www.linfo.org/root.html

For most of us, when we need to invoke root privileges for something, we use the terminal command sudo, which invokes root privileges for that one command and then ends.You can open terminal and enter "man sudo" for more information on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
I followed the same steps given here to create the root user so it should have been the superuser root. I can't prove anything now as the install was so messed up that I eventually trashed the whole thing and started over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Well, I don't know what to say, then. I followed the steps and there was no root user in my login screen. Can't think why it would be different between us, but hey, it's computing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.