macOS High Sierra bug allows Admin access without password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Nor I, Patrick. (But I was concerned about Charlie!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Oh my God!!! My apologies to you both!!

My mind was on an earlier post and was confused. Easy thing to happen for me.

Sorry guys.

- Patrick
======

LOL, that's what's known as a senior moment Patrick.

And no, I'm not offended. :)

Nor I, Patrick. (But I was concerned about Charlie!)

Phew, that's all a relief and thanks.

I'll try and pay attention to what I'm typing in the future. Unfortunately I can't blame auto-spell-check for my last goof up. :Cool:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
So, Patrick, will you now give Apple a little more grace about making mistakes????

Just kidding, we know that ain't happening...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So, Patrick, will you now give Apple a little more grace about making mistakes????

I have been a Microsoft Insider since they started the program at least 1 year before Windows 10 was out. If you had some of the bugs I had with the builds, it makes any mistakes Apple has made even with their betas seem minor. No sound on a new laptop with INTEL HD AUDIO! 2 months with no sound! Amazing! :D Grin

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have been a Microsoft Insider since they started the program at least 1 year before Windows 10 was out.
Boy are you a glutton for punishment. LOL

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Actually I do at times, but don't usually broadcast it much, well, if at all…, OK…, maybe hardly ever… :Lips-Are-Sealed: :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I do at times, but don't usually broadcast it much, well, if at all…, OK…, maybe hardly ever… :Lips-Are-Sealed: :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

Pat, or you could be that blind fanboy that is no longer on the forums that lives near you. We do not allow his name mentioned so keep it quiet but thought it might make you laugh! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pat, or you could be that blind fanboy that is no longer on the forums that lives near you. We do not allow his name mentioned so keep it quiet but thought it might make you laugh! :D Grin

Not bloody likely thanks Dennis, and that arrogant person was my nemesis who finally earned the sub name "Banned" here on this forum I believe, and thank God he lives in the south area of Victoria, a safe distance away unless he's been asked to leave the city.

And no, to be honest, no laughing matter at all as far as I'm concerned, but not offended here.

- Patrick
======

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Not bloody likely thanks Dennis, and that arrogant person was my nemesis who finally earned the sub name "Banned" here on this forum I believe, and thank God he lives in the south area of Victoria, a safe distance away unless he's been asked to leave the city.

And no, to be honest, no laughing matter at all as far as I'm concerned, but not offended here.

- Patrick
======

hmmm. I won't mention his name either. ;)

Apple seems to be making far more mistakes for me, I used to upgrade my OSs much quicker a long time ago (I recall installing Tiger the day it came out) Now I'm careful about that. I do wish though that the update thingy would stop nagging me to update to high Sierra every couple days!

Still doesn't come close to the Microsoft debacle though.

Reaction score
Still doesn't come close to the Microsoft debacle though.
Yeah, tell me about it. I'm going through one now on my two Win 7 computers, can't get updates. Microsoft screw's up again. Thank God I have a Mac as my main computer. My wife get her first Apple computer early next year, don't know what we're getting yet. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm. I won't mention his name either. ;)

I believe he was also banned from the ehmac.ca forums when the "mayor" was running it. That was also a nice relief. :Evil:

Apple seems to be making far more mistakes for me, I used to upgrade my OSs much quicker a long time ago (I recall installing Tiger the day it came out) Now I'm careful about that. I do wish though that the update thingy would stop nagging me to update to high Sierra every couple days!

If you mean the Software Update or App Store Update, I was able to get the nagging stopped my command, or option or control clicking on the "install" link of something.

I'd have to google for the proper method, and if it still works.

Or, do the download but don't let it run and then move and hide it somewhere for if and when you do might want to use it.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe he was also banned from the ehmac.ca forums when the "mayor" was running it. That was also a nice relief. :Evil:

If you mean the Software Update or App Store Update, I was able to get the nagging stopped my command, or option or control clicking on the "install" link of something.

I'd have to google for the proper method, and if it still works.

Or, do the download but don't let it run and then move and hide it somewhere for if and when you do might want to use it.

- Patrick
======

He really rubbed people the wrong way didn't he, everywhere he went!

Anyway... Im hoping the upgrade OS nags are only a few times and then they stop. If not, if anyone knows how to stop it that'd be swell. I have no plans until another point release. But they're popping these things out so fast they might be on to another OS ;) My music/Pro tools machine is firmly El Cap for now with no plans to move it because it's working great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyway... Im hoping the upgrade OS nags are only a few times and then they stop. If not, if anyone knows how to stop it that'd be swell.

Are you getting the nag to install if HS has already been downloaded via Notifications or from the App Store nagging to download??

Maybe have a read here:
How to Prevent macOS High Sierra from Automatically Downloading
http://osxdaily.com/2017/11/21/prevent-macos-high-sierra-automatic-download/

And,
How to stop Apple from automatically downloading new software for your Mac
http://www.businessinsider.com/appl...pdates-2016-10/#start-in-system-preferences-1

or more hits via:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=1RwnWu6xFs_M8geE84WQDg

What you also probably want to prevent and be aware of is HS doing its download and install thing almost behind your back as Apple seems to be promoting and attempted jamming down ones throat as if the nagging wasn't enough. Gheese!!! :Angry:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have that stuff turned off afaik. Just the nags. Perhaps it'll stop after so many?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have that stuff turned off afaik. Just the nags. Perhaps it'll stop after so many?

Personally I'd do some double checking and I sure wouldn't assume it would stop on its own. :Not-Amused:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Eh? Assuming I know to whom you refer (and I'm sure I do), I thought it was odd to see nothing from him lately, even given my own rare appearances these days. It's a shame, he's pretty smart and quite often had a lot of valuable input, but those blinders of his... sheesh. I do empathize a little with him even though we butted heads a few times. I know the worst of me gets out once in a while. Well maybe not the absolute worst, but I've had my moments.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eh? Assuming I know to whom you refer (and I'm sure I do), I thought it was odd to see nothing from him lately, even given my own rare appearances these days. It's a shame, he's pretty smart and quite often had a lot of valuable input, but those blinders of his... sheesh. I do empathize a little with him even though we butted heads a few times. I know the worst of me gets out once in a while. Well maybe not the absolute worst, but I've had my moments.

You are a great user. I hope to see more of you here!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.