Menu Items Fade Red While Closing - High Sierra Bug?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - I've been using High Sierra on my laptops for a few weeks - now on my MBPro and have noticed that when I open a menu item, whether in Safari or another app, and then close, the fading dropdown menu flashes red - made a short QuickTime movie of the desktop and uploaded to my YouTube account (see below - not sure that the forum posts accept a *.mov directly - could not find a way?) - did some googling and found this posting , which suggested manipulating the transparency feature - gave it a try and the 'flashing red' disappeared but the menu dropdowns now look faded - just curious if others have noticed this peculiar activity? Not a big deal but likely a 'bug issue' w/ the new macOS - thanks for any comments. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had to watch the video several times before I could see what you were referring to. I've never seen that before and it is not happening with my version of High Sierra. My graphics card also has a NVIDIA chipset which seems to be the one it occurs with. Although I noticed one user said he thought it was his Intel HD graphics card that was at fault.

If reducing the transparency allows it to go away, perhaps you can try using the darker menus or increase the contrast. Let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I tried it on my 2103 MB Air running High Sierra and I don't have the issue with either the light or dark menu bar. It has the Intel HD 5000 graphics. My preference is the dark bar. ;D

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I generally use the light menu option and haven't seen that behavior though I'm still running the last beta till Apple fixes their problem with Fusion drives.

I have noticed that once in a while the menu bar turns red. I think it is just the right side from the Notifications Center back to wherever the last little icon falls. The center and left to the Apple menu are usually OK IIRC. It doesn't happen often enough for me to spend a lot of time sorting it out.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks ALL for your prompt responses - my MBPro is early 2013 w/ the graphics card shown below - I rebooted the computer w/ no change - impossible to do a screen capture so the reason to make a video - also opened my MBAir (early 2015) which is also on High Sierra - no problem at all w/ that laptop - so seems specific to my older laptop and to my macOS upgrade (i.e. never noticed the effect before) - SO, maybe an issue w/ my graphics card? I suspect that 10.13.2 will be released in the near future and hopefully the issue corrected? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 9.19.10 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you do an “upgrade” or a clean install of High Sierra?

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you do an “upgrade” or a clean install of High Sierra?

Hi Bob - I just did an 'upgrade', if that makes a difference? In my searching, others have commented on the same issue w/ a High Sierra install, but the type of upgrade was not mentioned - the only 'correction' that I can verify is that if I turn off 'Reduce Transparency' in System Preferences -> Accessibility, then the reddish-pinkish fading menu item closures disappear; BUT, the menu drop-downs are 'grayish' which I don't like (see attachment - left w/ feature ON and right OFF, as notated). Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 6.53.50 PM.png

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently FIXED w/ recent High Sierra Update - last night, I installed the 10.13.2 update to the MBPro, then switched over to 'Reduce Transparency' in Preferences and the reddish-pinkish flashing has disappeared, so back to leaving the feature ON. Dave :)

P.S. have not updated my MBAir yet, but that was not affected - thus, do not anticipate a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.