• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Camcorder and new ipad

Reaction score
Bought my grandkids each a new 2017 ipad (32G) for Christmas. Looking for simple camcorders that will plug in to the ipads via apples ipad camera adapter cable for uploading the videos, and then editing them on the ipad with imovie. Their desire is to make youtube videos/vlogs. We need this to be a simple plug and play process. There is no computer, this will need to be done directly with the camcorders and ipads. We are hoping to spend under $200 each on the camcorders.

Using the imovie app on the ipad, exactly what video format (or any other limiting formats) do I need the camcorders to have? I keep looking at camcorders on sale at various websites and finding them to be said to not be compatible without having to first upload and process through a computer or remove an sd card or buy some special app or device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't do such stuff, but why not just use the iPad's built-in camera and maybe one of the iOS camera apps like Camera+.app that provides a bit more control than Apple's app???

As for using iMovie on the iPad, I'd do some searching for some tutorials etc. for any editing and how-tos etc. you may want to do.

Maybe start here:
using iPad for movie
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=DRgaWoHaMszM8ge82oioBQ

- Patrick
======

OP
B
Reaction score
The camcorders are so they can run around and video whatever their hearts desire without dragging an ipad outdoors, or anywhere else for that matter, to be ruined. Not to mention an ipad is rather large and burdensome for a 10 year old to be packing around. Those little camcorders fit in coat pockets and small backpacks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Briarsmoke

I think this is what you are after. The article, linked below, indicates the video formats that iPads can handle and describes in detail how to import video to an iPad via adaptors either directly or from an SD Card.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202037

Please come back if these options are, in any way, unsuited to your needs.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
or buy wifi SD cards which dispense with the need for cabling, adaptors or special programmes.

That sounds like a good suggestion, but just curious as to how one would do so without using any adapter which I was sure would be needed.

PS: The prices and size of those current camcorders are just amazing compared to the Hitachi vas portable recorder we had many years ago with its small suitcase recorder and separate huge camera, all for $3,000.00+!!!!
Man, just the battery was almost as large as todays complete units. Amazing progress I guess… but it sure too excellent videos… :D

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
That sounds like a good suggestion, but just curious as to how one would do so without using any adapter which I was sure would be needed.

- Patrick
======

You download the appropriate app to your phone or iPad from the App Store: switch camera/camcorder on, engage wifi on menu, open app on device and follow the instructions on iPad screen. The Toshiba ones use FlashAir. I've been using one for 18 months after my iPad adaptor failed on a wildlife photography holiday. I then bought a wifi camera and can still use the card in it. More difficult to link to MBP and I've not done it because at home i can slot the card in the computer.

http://www.toshiba-memory.com/cms/en/products/wireless-sd-cards/FlashAir/index.html#youtube/0/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Toshiba ones use FlashAir

Wow, neat, and thanks Sue.

I guess I'll have to start jogging just to try and keep up with some new technology!!! But maybe I'd be better off getting a high speed scooter cart for my failing senior's feet and legs!! :)

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tell me about it! As Leonard Cohen sang: 'I ache in the places I used to play!'

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses and links. I went into the Apple store yesterday and asked about this. I was referred to the Apple store rep who (apparently) knew about this kind of stuff. He said that camcorders and point and shoot cameras that also take video are not formatted the same and that a point and shoot camera will easily plug into and transfer video content to the 2017 ipad whereas a camcorder will be troublesome. The Apple rep said I need to look for cameras or camcorders that use or create RAW file type video to ensure compatability. I've never heard of this. Everything I see regarding media file type is avi, mpeg, mp4, etc. never seen mention of RAW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd consider a compact camera, something from the Canon IXUS 2xx series. Although there are a massive range of compact cameras that offer these facilities now.

They record in video 1080p Full HD
They use MP4 as it's video file format (iOS natively supports MP4)
They have wifi and an iOS app to transfer photo and video
They use SD cards that can be connected to the lightning-SD adaptor
They are in the $120-180 range

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Apple rep said I need to look for cameras or camcorders that use or create RAW file type video to ensure compatability.

Hmmm… that sounds a bit dubious to me or was possibly misunderstood.

The Apple Mothership has a huge list of supported cameras here with this note:
iMovie is designed to work with a wide range of camcorders and digital still cameras, plus all models of iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. And now, when you record 4K videos, you can use iMovie to turn them into amazing 4K movies.

iMovie supported cameras

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204202

Also interesting for some cameras listed:
Notes

1 iFrame is a computer-friendly video format designed by Apple to optimize the process of working with video recorded with your camera or camcorder.
2 iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices.

(I'd never even heard of iFrame video format.)

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.