Can i use migration assitant to only re add specific items from my back up disc?

Reaction score
Hi

Thank to the great help i got on this site i finally managed to see how to wipe my hard drive (due to constant beach ball spinning on everything) and reinstall my docs and apps etc. Ive reinstalled my old apps but i dont think i readded all my old docs but although my macbook is a lot better its still got a few issues so now i want to wipe the HD again and this time only reinstall certain apps i need like Office etc.

That way ill minimise what i put back onto my HD and know for sure if its the apps or docs etc that have been causing my issues.

So my question is as above: can migration assistant help to ONLY add certain apps/docs - if so, i couldnt see how to select them - i only got a tick box choice of apps or docs or files (i think ). I oculdnt see how to expand the options and pick just what i needed

any advice?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're thinking you still have issues...then the most effective way of insuring no issues is doing a fresh install of the OS...and fresh installs of the apps you want installed. If you migrate things (apps, files, etc.)...then there's always the possibility of duplicating/copying the issue to the freshly wiped HD.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Nick

Thanks for the reply. I understand that, which is why im wondering if i do a completely new install etc can i then use migration assistant to ONLY add the bits i want ie like Office

thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are many things that you can do that with but I'm not sure about Office. If I remember correctly Office and the Adobe suites used to complain mightily when transferred via Migration Assistant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Ive reinstalled my old apps but i don't think i readied all my old docs

If you created your backup using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) or probably a similar app, you can clone back just the files/folders of your docs etc. using them, but it would probably be easier to just use The Finder to copy them to where you want them.

Migration Assistant does not provide any detailed method of selection as you discovered.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I remember correctly Office and the Adobe suites used to complain mightily when transferred via Migration Assistant.

I know for a fact that MS Office 2011 and 2016 will refuse to activate unless you re-enter the serial numbers or activation code on the new machine. Office 365 will not complain unless you have installed it on more machines than your subscription allows.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi guys

thanks for the replies.

I have already used my back up to re add office 2008 with no problems but as i said , i only had the option to add all apps, and not pick and choose

pretty poor if migration assistant doesnt let you pick specifics, i mean most such issues require a completely fresh install with none of the problematic apps/files from before

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
pretty poor if migration assistant doesnt let you pick specifics,

You could always do a web search for alternatives and I already mentioned the ability when using CCC, but there are lots of others, i.e.:

mac migration assistant alternatives
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=dLAVWuPnH-Te8AeiqJ64BQ

Or you could pay a good Mac Tech to do the job, just like you probably pay a garage or mechanic to fix any car troubles you might have. :\

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.