Desktop Photos

Reaction score
I'm running OS 10.13.1 on a Mac Mini. More than half the time on boot-up, my desktop photo(s) revert back to the basic "Apple Desktop Pictures," instead of my chosen folder of personal photos. I don't know how to make my chosen folder the default. As I say, about half the time it's fine; I haven't been able to figure out what I've done differently—either way. Not's not a big deal, just an annoyance and unnecessary as far as I can see. Idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm running OS 10.13.1 on a Mac Mini. More than half the time on boot-up, my desktop photo(s) revert back to the basic "Apple Desktop Pictures," instead of my chosen folder of personal photos.

I wonder if Apple's "features" is still not behaving as expected???

You have set the picture for one day ( 24 hrs ) , it will be permanent up to 24 hrs , as soon the time crosses 24 hrs it will definitely go to default settings. Because there is no setting to save desktop picture for more than one day .
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7813848?start=0&tstart=0

I don't use either Mac Sierra version, but I'm sure I read they were fussy on where "Desktop Photos" could be stored so that they would hopefully work better.

- Patrick
======

OP
B
Reaction score
Well, that's just dumb, isn't it? (imho) It's like having to choose your audio input/output every day. Well, thanks for letting me know that it's not me that's the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that's just dumb, isn't it? (imho)

Yes and I agree, but I can't believe Apple has actually screwedup such an option and I'm not about to reboot my iMac into a Sierra version just to check.

And after a quick web search, it seems it's certainly possible using this search:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=vbcQWse1H9Te8Af_34DABA

I see:
https://www.cultofmac.com/453572/default-wallpaper/
https://www.imore.com/how-set-your-desktop-picture-photos-mac
and even Apple:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/personalize-your-desktop-mchlp3013/mac

So give them a try.

I don't know if the Sierra Systems still allow a user to add what desktop images one wants into the "thy shall not touch or modify" folder or not but as I have done on our Macs for years now.

PS: There's usually another way. Somehow. :Smirk:

PPS:
Here's a screenshot of all my available Desktop images from my Mavericks Desktop Screen Saver System Preferences pref that have worked for years and still do as far as I know. As you can see, I have added some of my own folders with their own images that all work:

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 3.07.28 PM.png

And this:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/29503/how-to-change-the-logon-background-in-os-x/

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I’ve noticed some differences in the way Sierra and HS display Desktop Pictures but the Folder I have my personal shots in still resides in the Pictures folder and still works but I have not tried a 24hr change. I do notice however that HS is a bit resistant to change.
If I select a different image although the current and subsequent desktops change the login window retains the blurred version of the previous image until I shut down and reboot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I select a different image although the current and subsequent desktops change the login window retains the blurred version of the previous image until I shut down and reboot.

Probably just due to some memory lag and slow update and possibly helped a bit with the Retina screen's higher resolution to be redrawn and maybe saving some resources Rod. Just a guess however…

Or maybe there's a lag until the MotherShip approves and allows the new image change with a restart??? :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just a guess however…

Or maybe there's a lag until the MotherShip approves and allows the new image change with a restart???

LOL, I would say it's more like a WAG. Rod probably needs to change the prescription for his glasses. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yep, the "blurred" image is like looking through a bit of waxed paper at the background image. When you boot, that image is taken from the current screen setup. So when you change it, the login screen still keeps the "original" until you reboot and it gets fixed. That's what I've noticed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So when you change it, the login screen still keeps the "original" until you reboot and it gets fixed. That's what I've noticed.

Maybe just quitting the Finder would force it to redraw the monitor and save restarting. ??? :|

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, I doubt it. Rod is concerned with the login screen, which I don't think is refreshed with restarting Finder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.