Open Adobe .pdf files

A

Abstrack

I am having a difficult time opening .pdf files in safari. I searched through the threads and supposedly safari 2.0 was going to make it easier. No luck for me. This basically occured trying to open a .pdf from my internet email account. Any suggestions? Thanks - Abstrack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you wanted to open it in Safari, you need to make sure that you have the Adobe Reader plugin installed. Alternatively, you could just download the document to your desktop and open it in Preview.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
D3v1L80Y is right, you can just download them to your system and open them in Preview, but Safari in Tiger 10.4.whatever has never failed to open a PDF for me right in Safari. What version of OSX are you running?

OP
A

Abstrack

I am running 10.4.2.

You mean I have to download the file and then preview it. Why not just open on double click?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
can you give me a URL to a PDF that does not open in Safari? I do it daily and it always works.

OP
A

Abstrack

I tried several url and the .pdf files opens fine. I guess it only happens with my internet email

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Abstrack said:
I tried several url and the .pdf files opens fine. I guess it only happens with my internet email

I have never tried to open one on say Google mail as I don't get many attached to my email. I will send myself one and see what happens.

You got me curious now!

OP
A

Abstrack

Ok. I am checking email on my ISP account. When I double click the file it is downloaded to my download folder. When I double click on the download folder nothing happens. I opened both previewer and adobe and it did not open. The file has a .pdf.html extension.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Abstrack said:
Ok. I am checking email on my ISP account. When I double click the file it is downloaded to my download folder. When I double click on the download folder nothing happens. I opened both previewer and adobe and it did not open. The file has a .pdf.html extension.

Try renaming and take off the .html and just leave .pdf. See what happens.

OP
A

Abstrack

dtravis7 said:
Try renaming and take off the .html and just leave .pdf. See what happens.

Im a recent switcher. I mean 3 days. I am not sure how to rename files on a mac. I can not even find the download folder

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Abstrack said:
Im a recent switcher. I mean 3 days. I am not sure how to rename files on a mac. I can not even find the download folder

Opps. Did not know that!! Sorry.

Are you talking about the download folder in Safari? Stock the download folder in Safari goes to the Desktop. You can change it in Safari's preferences to where ever you want it.

You can just highlight the filename then hit Enter and change it or Right Click and open Info and change it there.

Hope that helps.

...Dennis

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.