Help Removing Bootcamp partition COMPLETELY on OS X 10.6.8 please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
I am on OS X 10.6.8 and about to upgrade to a later OS X. I have a bootcamp partition with Win 7 on it that I set up years ago. I never use it and have nothing on it I need to keep. I would like to simply remove it and give the space (300GB) back to my main partition.

How do I do this please? I saw online that I should be able to open bootcamp assistant, and have an option to remove the instal.
remove-windows-boot-camp-partition-mac.jpg
http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/09/remove-windows-boot-camp-partition-mac/
However, I dont get that option show up. Starting bootcamp simply asks me if I want to install windows and not remove the previous instal. Perhaps that screen is for a later version?

Anyway, whats the easiest way to get that space back before I start my OS X upgrade please?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its OK. I have done it now :) I found a youtube video.

/Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Do you have all of your important data (files, movies, music, photos, etc.) backed up? You should make sure you have a complete backup (or two) of the data you can not afford to lose, before continuing.

If you do not get the option to remove Boot Camp, from within the Boot Camp helper, there may be a bigger issue. Since you are upgrading, maybe you did an upgrade previously, and that affected the Boot Camp partition. Have you attempted to boot into Windows 7 recently? Can you try now? Back up before you attempt this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Its OK. I have done it now :) I found a youtube video.

Please share what you did/found...then others that may happen to be in the same situation can learn from it.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if youbused anything other than BootCamp to remove the partition, expect troubles. Such as reverting the former BootCamp space back to the hard drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please share what you did/found...then others that may happen to be in the same situation can learn from it.:)

- Nick

Sorry, but I cant remember the exact video, but it was via bootcamp. I think I had to click something to get to the screen that was in the pic I posted. Note that the screencap says 'Go Back' as an option. Had it been infront of us now and we had clicked back, we would have had the screen I was on when I made the post.

In otherwords, I found the screen in the screenshot by following the step by step in the video, and removed it from there. Via bootcamp. It was painless :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.