Part number of a cable for iMac 27'' mid 2011

Reaction score
Hello,

my trusty iMac from mid 2011, 27'' model, is exposing the same flaws that other users of the same model have reported. The graphics card was replaced 2 1/2 years ago courtesy of an Apple recall program for this model. Now I have the infamous black screen problem. The problem manifested a few months ago by the screen going black. First intermittently, then more and more often until it finally blacked out completely if the brightness was set to anything above 3!

After exchanging the backlight inverter board for a brand new one, the flaw seemed to be resolved for a little while and then came back. Very frustrating. I can 'fix' it by leaving the screws out that fix the LED screen to the chassis. When the error occurs, I open the box, wiggle the cable connecting the backlight inverter board to the LED screen a little and reboot. My suspicion is, that it's the cable. Other users have reported this problem as well.

I need to know the part number and/or a source where to order a replacement. I've checked thebookyard.com and I'm looking at this part, but I'm not sure it's the part I need? https://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?products_id=10206

Thanks a lot!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Purchase the cable from Powerbookmedic.com.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to Powerbookmedic...look up the part...number should be included.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think my problem is to identify the part correctly on powerbookmedic.com. I don't want to buy the wrong cable!
Is it this one?

The straight up answer is...maybe...maybe not. The part you linked in thread post #1 and the part linked in post #5...are not the same (just look at the photos for both). Lol

Remove the cable from your iMac...then carefully compare it to the photos in the two links. Hopefully it matches one of them.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I can 'fix' it by leaving the screws out that fix the LED screen to the chassis.

O.K., so what's the problem???

There are lots of still good working iMacs around with a few screws missing or loose. :Smirk:

Problem fixed.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are lots of still good working iMacs around with a few screws missing or loose. :Smirk:

Lol Patrick. Are you setting us up for an alternative statement???

i.e. "There are lots of still good working Mac-Users around with a few screws missing or loose.";)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Lol Patrick. Are you setting us up for an alternative statement???

Nope. Sorry Nick.

Just leaving it up to the reader, :Smirk: but seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if even some Macs had left the Apple factory with a screw or so missing. Robots or not working the assembly line. :Oops:

But it sounds like something's getting pinched and maybe shorted out using the screws, or tightening them. Maybe just leave them loose — or just not use them at all. Some insulating tape would probably work if any attachment/support was needed, like that super strong yellow adhesive tape they use for many parts inside.

Anyway, OP's choice. But I sure hope my main mid-2011 27'' iMac keeps on ticking…

PS:
Just like this, even with the boss watching!!
And did you notice the Macs there running Windows…??? :D

Definitely some screws loose somewhere there to me…

apple_pro_production_windows.jpg

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.