Boot failure... Strange sound from side of Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
Apple MD314LL/A (Late 2011) 13" Macbook Pro, Intel Core i7-2640M 2.8GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB SATA, 802.11n, Bluetooth, Mac OS 10.7 Lion

Bought this laptop refurbished a couple years ago. Worked really well for the first weeks and then it started booting with a bar. And that was okay until last night. Downloads were failing, stuff stopped loading. Turned it off, went to bed, woke up next morning, booted. Took a little longer. All tabs left open had closed. Tried to open them. Didn't load. Reset.

Wouldn't boot. Tried resetting PRAM. Then it started having strange sounds coming from right side of the laptop.

Tried disk utility, hardware test, etc. and 'nothing' is the response.

I have a folder with a question mark appearing if I leave it trying to boot too long.

Any help?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Your link is not working, however, it may be that the hard drive failed and the sound you're hearing is the drive. If you have to replace the hard drive, it is also recommended to replace the SATA cable which attaches the hard drive to the logic board. Go to www.ifixit.com for instructions. Also might be a good idea to upgrade from Lion to a more modern and supported version of macOS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.