MacBook Pro doesn't boot after RAM module failure.

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro (Early 2011, Sierra) won't boot anymore. The logo appears, the loadingbar appears but as soon as it's nearly completed, the screen goes white.

I've tried all boot key options, no success. A fresh install with an USB stick doesn't work either. After doing the Apple Hardware test it turned out to be a faulty RAM module. Found out which one, removed it and checked the RAM slots. No more errors.

When I try to boot with one RAM module, it doesn't do anything. The same problem as before. Also a fresh install via USB doesn't work.

Is it possible to boot a Macbook with only one RAM module? Does anyone have tips what I can try?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Many Apple computer models require RAM be installed in pairs. If your 2011 MacBook Pro will not boot with only one RAM module installed...it sounds like a model that requires RAM be installed in pairs.

Maybe a great time for a RAM upgrade (if not maxed out previously)!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal. Please let us know how things turn out.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
Is the Macbook a 15" model? If yes, it could be a faulty graphics chip causing the white screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would expect it to fail the VST but I'm not 100% sure.

I had a late 2011 and, every time I boot the machine, it would flip to a white screen just before finishing the boot.

I had the gpu replaced by a local repair shop and it's been fine since.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had the gpu replaced by a local repair shop and it's been fine since.

You were very fortunate to have this option locally. Not many places do this...not even Apple...since Apple usually replaces the whole logic board.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased the MBP from kijiji. The unit was in excellent condition as was the battery and oem Magsafe charger. I knew about the gpu problem before buying the unit but, for $65 CAD, I could not resist. A used charger sells for around $60 CAD on it's own.

The repair shop replaced the gpu with an updated revision of the existing chip which, he said, doesn't suffer from the heat problems that the original revision did.

I gave the laptop to my brother for his use.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, the new RAM modules are installed and the problem persists.

I am trying to boot only on the integrated graphics chips by following this tutorial:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/267581/gpu-problem-boot-hangs-on-grey-screen/295805#295805

But I run into a problem. I can't get make the disk writable to temporary move the files.
mount root partition writeable
/sbin/mount -uw /

It just tells me the disk is locked and booted in read-only. I can't boot in Recovery mode to disable SIP.

The stupid thing is, I just need to be able to boot once to be able to install gfxCardStatus or a fork of this patch.

Any ideas?

OP
J
Reaction score
I got it working!
For others with the same problem, this is what fixed the write lock issue:

In order to disable or enable SIP (System Integrity Protection) without being able to see recovery mode and launch the terminal, you can use single-user recovery mode which takes you right into a command prompt.

Reboot Mac holding down COMMAND R S

Wait 30-60 seconds depending on how fast your boot disk is.

Then hit ENTER a few times to get to the command prompt

To DISABLE SIP: type csrutil disable Wait 10 seconds type reboot

To ENABLE SIP: type csrutil enable Wait 10 seconds type reboot

OP
J
Reaction score
Looks like I managed to save my Macbook. It's running fine on the integrated chip only.

Happy!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey, nice one! Thanks for the tip. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.