Daisychaining Lacie 2Big drives.

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've got a new MacBook Pro with thunderbolt 3. Its fully loaded with 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM etc etc.

I've got a Lacie 2big 4TB with high speed USB 2, Firwire 400/800 which I have had for a number of years. There's nothing wrong with it, I've just run out of space.

I have JUST aquired a LaCie 2Big Thunderbolt 2 (which also has USB 3) 12 TB drive to, to an extent future proof my backup.

There is no problem with either drives - I can connect them direct to the MacBook via adaptor leads from Apple or elsewhere. That's all good.

My question is, I'm not sure how to daisy chain the 4TB to the 12TB. I want to put these drives up on a shelf out of the way, but always available easily plug-inable near my workstation.

I'm sure it can be done, I'm just not that sure how and thought it running by you guys!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe you can daisy chain those two drives together unless the 12TB also has FW 400/800. I'm not even sure it can be done with adapters. If the drives are working fine, just use them separately.

OP
J
Reaction score
I don't believe you can daisy chain those two drives together unless the 12TB also has FW 400/800. I'm not even sure it can be done with adapters. If the drives are working fine, just use them separately.

I think you're right. By the time I've tracked down adapters etc its barely worth the hassle. So I use two TB3 ports on the MBP instead of 1. Such is life! Thanks for your input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.