Photos Quit Unexpectedly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Seems I'm having a couple of problems lately :-(

I started using Photos about 3 weeks ago to store all my current and old iPhone images and shift them out of Lightroom.

This morning though I can't open Photos on my iMac (it's right up to date with 10.13.1). I just get a message saying "photos quit unexpectedly". It gives me an option to re-open but the same happens over and over again. I've tried a system re-boot, run first aid on the hard drive and tried opening photos while holding down CMD & Option to rebuild the library. All to no avail.

I can open Photos on my MBP and my iPhone - just not this iMac.

Any suggestions or anyone else suffering with this?

thanks, Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are the settings/options, in System Preferences > iCloud > Photos, the same on all devices?

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi Bob

Yes they are. It was working fine - before and after the 11.1 update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you tried to start up in Safe mode to see if Photos opens properly in Safe mode? To start up in Safe mode, restart the iMac, hold down "shift", until you see the login window.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Do you have a backup? Maybe from Time Machine from a few days ago? You can copy your existing photos library to another external, and restore the older version, to see if that is working?

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried that Bob
No change - it still won't open and I get the same message
My Library is in iCloud

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strange this!

If I go:

Finder
Pictures
Apple
Photos Library - double click

the app opens.

So I tried opening from my Applications folder. And it opens. But it wouldn't open from the icon in the dock.

Removing the icon from the dock and replacing it has done the trick. I have no idea why the dock icon suddenly became unreponsive but it's fixed now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.