iMAC crashes - repair premissions not helping

G

GaTech Girl

Hey all!
I am having problems with my iMAC (G4, 800Mhz, 256+512 ram Panther). It keeps crashing (black screen...must press power button...). When I can get it to stay up for a couple of minutes, I run the disk utility and repair disk permissions. The same error (Colorsync...) keeps coming up. Unfortunately, this only solves the problem temporarily (1-2 days).
The second problem is that I lost my Panther Disc and only have the original OSX disk that came with the computer. Can I use this to run disk utility or do I need to buy Panther again...or how about Tiger? (I am not sure about Tiger since my system is kind of old).
Although most of my files are backed up, there are a few files that aren't that I hate to loss.
Also, the mouse occasionally flickers and it has problems with one of its 3 USB ports (which I no longer use). :eek:neye: Could this be part of the crashing issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Helene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Have you created another user profile? If not, then create one and log on to the new profile for a few days to see if the problem persists while in that profile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Boot from the CD, repair permissions and then disc repair. If the problem persists, follow the advice above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.