iCal alert reminder

Reaction score
There is an iCal alert reminder that keeps popping up around the end of the month up to the 2nd of each month, as in it shows up about 4 times.
Let me be clear. This is an iCal reminder I placed to pay a prepaid cellular. It is NOT a "Reminder" alert. When I select the popup alert, it opens iCal.

I have searched this and other forums. There are some hits with replies saying try this and try that, but no solves or resolutions and the OP has never come back and said how they fixed it or if they ever did.
There are some replies that suggest to wipe out all your reminders in Terminal, yet the OP said it didn't help and I'd like to find a less destructive solution.
I'm willing to try just about anything though. Keep in mind I am not an Apple Genius and don't know Terminal, so don't rattle off some instructions that you understand, because I probably won't. Give me the dumb person version.

I have searched my iCal and Reminders and nothing with any letters or words in the reminder comes up. I have selected and de-selected various notifications (as many suggested in the posts I found).
This is happening to others so I know it's not just me, but I have yet to find a solution.

Free beer to anyone that can help me solve this mystery.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 12.01.31 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Since it happens in iCal, (Calendar), have you tried to edit the alert reminder? Maybe it has multiple alerts enabled?

OP
T
Reaction score
Edit the alert reminder? Not sure what you mean.
IF you mean the thing that pops up each month, no I have tried but you can't, it's a close or snooze option only. Did you see the attachment?
IF you mean the original reminder, no. As I said, I searched for it and can't find it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The next time that alert appears try the following and see if it works for you:
1. Click on the reminder somewhere near where it says AIS Review. The area doesn't appear clickable but probably can be clicked. Don't click Snooze or Close.
2. When you click on that area it should open the Calendar program with the event in question showing.
3. Right click the event and choose Delete

If this was created as a recurring event, as I suspect it is, you will be asked if you want to delete that event or all future events. Choosing "all future events" should get rid of the rest of these events. If they are created as separate events they will have to be deleted individually.

Edit: If you use Spotlight to search for AIS Renew you should be able to find an instance of the event. Clicking the event should open Calendar (iCal) with the event selected. Then follow steps 2 and 3.

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, I do that every time it pops up. It does in fact open iCal, but there is no event pertaining to that pop any where in sight. I even scroll up and down the calendar. In fact, prior to posting (I wanted to try every thing) I manually scrolled through the calendar going back 4 years.

As to the Spotlight... good thinking. I did a search and 3 results popped up. When I double click on the first one dated Aug 2 it opens iCal of Aug 2015, but Aug 2 is empty, same with the other 2. I tried going to day view, nothing.
Makes me think it was created either in another(different) calendar or is migrating from another iCloud??? email address??? OR was created on my older iPhone that has since been decommissioned. But I did wipe that out according to the Apple procedures.
My calendar has been changed (reduced) down to just iCloud based and using one email account. So I don't know if that started this or not. I have activated and deactivated all the previous emails. I backed up and then deleted the cache files from the library yesterday. So I won't really know the results of that until next months ghost performance of AIS Renew :)
OMG... as I'm typing this it popped up again... added an attachment.
This has turned into a real challenge.

AIS Image.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Sorry, what version of macOS are you using? What iCal version? Also, are you positive, it is not a Reminder notification? Only because, Calendar (ver. 10.0) in macOS 10.13.1 notifications have an image of a calendar, not a clock, on the notification?

edit: looks like you updated while I was replying.

You will need to edit the notifications you are receiving. See where it says Repeats Monthly? All those 4 alerts listed underneath there is how often you will receive notifications for these events.

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
Version 10.11.6 El Capitan
Version 8.0 Calendar

There is no way to edit the notifications... they don't exist or at least I can't find them to delete them.

OP
T
Reaction score
This stupid alert is back. It's Calendar by the way.
I've click on the alert, it opens Calendar but the event "AIS Renew" is not there. It's a ghost reminder.
Help me find and remove this monster. :)

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 9.12.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 9.30.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 9.33.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.