Going to Switch from PC to Mac - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Hey all- I'm currently using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and am just sick of all the updates and glitches/bugs. I'm going to switch to a Macbook. I would like to stay under $1000 if possible (new or used). I'm looking for one with the following specs:

8GB RAM, at least 128 GB SSD, and one that runs a newer OS (newer than Yosemite).

I'd love any comments anyone would have. Also, the software I'll run says it needs at least 2GB RAM, so I'm shooting for 8 just to be sure it runs fast. Or would you think 4GB RAM is OK?

Anyway, again, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Shane

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Thank you for providing your budget, this helps greatly. Now, the other important piece is what you intend to use the machine for, i.e., what kinds of apps are you going to run on it? If it's just general browsing and document creation, for example, than the specs you've identified should be fine. You'll likely want to couple that 128GB of internal storage with an external drive so that you aren't filling up the drive quickly.

OP
S
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Thank you for providing your budget, this helps greatly. Now, the other important piece is what you intend to use the machine for, i.e., what kinds of apps are you going to run on it? If it's just general browsing and document creation, for example, than the specs you've identified should be fine. You'll likely want to couple that 128GB of internal storage with an external drive so that you aren't filling up the drive quickly.

Thanks for the quick reply. All I'm going to use the Mac for is word processing and Bible software called Logos (it is resource-heavy!). I'll also email and do web browsing to some extent. That's the bulk of it - I'm not really interested in pics or videos or media. Also, I've had my SP4 for 2 years and have used about 80GB of the 128 GB (I could lower that by deleting TONS of songs I don't listen to). Anyway, I think it's possible for me to stay well under the 128 GB threshhold.

Are Macs as glitchy and buggy as a PC? This SP4 works fine when it works, but it always has some type of small bug or two.

Finally, I saw this at Best Buy for $750. Would it be a good deal? ---Apple 13.3" MacBook Air (2017 Model): i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD

Thanks again - I really appreciate your time and help! (As a side, I'm also selling my Galaxy S7 to get an IPhone. I'm going all in!)
Shane

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the additional info, that helps greatly in providing guidance on which notebook from Apple makes the most sense for you, from the Macbook/Macbook Air to the Macbook Pro.

I think the Macbook or Macbook Air would be perfect for your use case and will do a phenomenal job. One of the biggest asset that a Mac has is the OS X/macOS operating system. The system will be rock stable with little to no glitches. The biggest hurdle for people switching from PC to Mac is adopting the Mac way of doing things.

Lots of people buy a Mac for all the right reasons and then try to use it like a Windows machine and frustrate themselves to no end. Once you switch, do it wholeheartedly, don't try to make a Mac/macOS do what Windows does, rather do things the Mac way and your life will be so much better.

Now as to the specific machine you've got there, that should serve you fine. The cheapest Macbook Air (MBA) on Apple's website is $999. So $750, assuming its brand new is perfectly fine.

Do you have a link so that we can verify age and other things?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for the additional info, that helps greatly in providing guidance on which notebook from Apple makes the most sense for you, from the Macbook/Macbook Air to the Macbook Pro.

I think the Macbook or Macbook Air would be perfect for your use case and will do a phenomenal job. One of the biggest asset that a Mac has is the OS X/macOS operating system. The system will be rock stable with little to no glitches. The biggest hurdle for people switching from PC to Mac is adopting the Mac way of doing things.

Lots of people buy a Mac for all the right reasons and then try to use it like a Windows machine and frustrate themselves to no end. Once you switch, do it wholeheartedly, don't try to make a Mac/macOS do what Windows does, rather do things the Mac way and your life will be so much better.

Now as to the specific machine you've got there, that should serve you fine. The cheapest Macbook Air (MBA) on Apple's website is $999. So $750, assuming its brand new is perfectly fine.

Do you have a link so that we can verify age and other things?
So glad Mac has fewer or no glitches. Will be nice to use an OS without all the headaches from bugs. Also, great advice! I've been using Windows for years, but have also in some ways been frustrated with Windows for years, so I'll take your advice and do it Mac's way and try to unlearn the Windows' way!

The deal for that MacBook Air is expired as of a few days ago - here's the link I saw it at (hopefully it's OK to post a link): https://slickdeals.net/f/10690128-save-200-on-macbook-air-250-on-select-macbook-pros

I may have to wait until there's a sale again.

Thanks much,
Shane

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Shane:

Thanks for the quick reply. All I'm going to use the Mac for is word processing and Bible software called Logos (it is resource-heavy!).

I run Logos 7 on my iMac as one of my primary apps, that along with Mac Office - specifically Word. I strongly advise you to go for a larger hard drive (SSD) than 128 GB. The 8 GB of memory should be enough (I run with 16 GB) so that Logos will not utilize swap space. Also, the fastest CPU and graphics that you can afford is advisable.

For more information, join us on the Logos public forums where you can ask what other users are running with their Macs.

If you need more info, ask away.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Shane:

I run Logos 7 on my iMac as one of my primary apps, that along with Mac Office - specifically Word. I strongly advise you to go for a larger hard drive (SSD) than 128 GB. The 8 GB of memory should be enough (I run with 16 GB) so that Logos will not utilize swap space. Also, the fastest CPU and graphics that you can afford is advisable.

For more information, join us on the Logos public forums where you can ask what other users are running with their Macs.

If you need more info, ask away.

Thanks for the help! Glad for any suggestions. My only question is to ask why you recommend more than 128GB? Sorry, don't mean to be rude, just genuinely curious. Since I've have my PC for 2 years and have not at all gotten close to using that much, I'm curious about your reasoning. And, to be honest, I'm not sure if I can afford a ton more storage right now.

Thanks again!
Shane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
One of the reasons chscag is recommending a larger drive - like a 256gb - is you will be amazed how fast it will fill up. Plus you can not change your mind later and put in a larger drive. They are considered to not be user upgradable - although it can be done but not easily depending on what you get.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the help! Glad for any suggestions. My only question is to ask why you recommend more than 128GB? Sorry, don't mean to be rude, just genuinely curious. Since I've have my PC for 2 years and have not at all gotten close to using that much, I'm curious about your reasoning. And, to be honest, I'm not sure if I can afford a ton more storage right now. Thanks again! Shane

Lisa answered your question about the storage and I second what she said. I don't know which Logos package you have but as your library grows, you will quickly run out of space on a 128 GB drive. Also, Logos 7 does not run as fast on a Mac as it does on a PC. I ran Logos for years in Windows (the old Logos Library system) and it always ran great with very little hard drive space and memory. I switched over to a Mac for our ministry 9 years ago and began to run Logos on my Mac when Faithlife released the Mac version.

Although Faithlife has improved the Mac version it still falls behind the Windows version as far as speed is concerned. That's why I recommend lots of storage space, a fast CPU and graphics. However, if your budget prevents you from getting an adequately equipped Mac then you either have to go with what you can afford or stick with Windows.

Also, I might add that the Mac version of Office 2016 lacks many of the options that are available to Windows users; specifically in Word and Powerpoint.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. That's helpful. More to think about for sure! Ugh!

Sorry to bother - one more question for now since you've been helpful. I noticed a new MacBook Air (13.3" Display - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory -1.8Ghz 128GB Flash Storage) for $750 on sale at Best Buy. I also saw a used MacBook Pro (early 2015 13inch, 8GB RAM, 2.7GHz, 128GB) for $650. Any comments on this? Which would be a better deal? (I'm assuming the MacBook Pro has SSD).

And, I will take your advice and begin to look for a bigger HD.

Thanks again!
Shane

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry to bother - one more question for now since you've been helpful. I noticed a new MacBook Air (13.3" Display - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory -1.8Ghz 128GB Flash Storage) for $750 on sale at Best Buy. I also saw a used MacBook Pro (early 2015 13inch, 8GB RAM, 2.7GHz, 128GB) for $650. Any comments on this? Which would be a better deal? (I'm assuming the MacBook Pro has SSD).

You've been given great advice to get more than 128gig of storage. If you were to follow this advice...then both of these computers should be disregarded.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
You've been given great advice to get more than 128gig of storage. If you were to follow this advice...then both of these computers should be disregarded.

- Nick

Good points, duly noted. Will begin looking for a 256GB SSD! Thanks!

M

MacInWin

Also, check the Apple refurb store for their offerings. It varies day to day as the inventory changes, but can save you 10-15% over new. You can find the refurb store at https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

Refurbs from Apple come with a full warranty and are eligible for AppleCare if you want it. Today there is a refurbished MBA 13" with 8GB memory and a 256GB SSD for $979, for example.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone! Just as a follow up I found a MacBook Pro (Retina) that was a few years old (used) with 256GB, 8GB RAM, 2.4 Ghz Core i7 that has the High Sierra OS. Got it for just over $600. I also put my Word 2016 on it flawlessly and my Logos Bible Software is running fine as well. So far I'm totally impressed! Everything just works easily (like my USB mouse, HDMI monitor, etc.). And it syncs so nicely with my iPhone. Anyway, I'm glad I got it, and thanks again!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad everything is working out well..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.