Fixing my Home Button

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am quite certain that my home button problem (unresponsive 90% of the time) is due to a hardware problem as opposed to a software problem.

I went to a private phone repair shop and was quoted $60 to fix the home button. However, in doing so, he said that touch ID would be no longer working if I repair it. At the Apple store apparently, they replace the entire phone. Is this correct? If so, how much would this cost? If it costs a substantial amount, I wouldn't bother because I am waiting for the iPhone 10 to come out.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

I have an iPhone 6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, replacing the 'home button' will disable 'touch ID' - believe that if done by Apple, the ID can be reset, so an option - whether Apple would do a repair on your iPhone vs. a replacement, I'm not sure - you would need to visit the Genius Bar at an Apple store for an opinion and estimate or call them on the phone - some discussion HERE.

Another repair option is a DIY project - checkout this iFixit Guide, if interested (first pic below) - you would need to buy a kit from them to get the device apart; plus, the 'touch ID' would not be functional.

Finally, there is a 'software' home button option - see the last two pics (from my iPad Air 2 on iOS 11.03) - Assistive Touch can be set as the 3-Click option (assuming your 'home button' works for a moment) - following the appropriate number of clicks, a 'Home Button' icon appears on the home screen and can be moved - pressing the screen button brings up the menu shown in the last image - more information HERE - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 11.29.36 AM.png

IMG_1275.PNG

IMG_1278.PNG

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do you have AppleCare protection? Having or not having it greatly determines the price of getting this fixed through Apple.

OP
S
Reaction score
The private repairer told me that for every iPhone, there is only one home button. This is for security purposes. Perhaps there is a serial code? Therefore, when you change the home button, touch ID would not work forever.

Unfortunately, I don't have Apple care but it's not a huge drama. Ideally, I want to fix my phone for convenience until my iPhone X arrives in 6 weeks. A cheap fix that restores touch ID is ideal since when I sell my phone, it would have more value since its important to buyers. If not, I wouldnt mind fixing it for $60 (without touch ID), although it will be more challenging selling the phone.

Well, replacing the 'home button' will disable 'touch ID' - believe that if done by Apple, the ID can be reset, so an option - whether Apple would do a repair on your iPhone vs. a replacement, I'm not sure - you would need to visit the Genius Bar at an Apple store for an opinion and estimate or call them on the phone - some discussion HERE.

Another repair option is a DIY project - checkout this iFixit Guide, if interested (first pic below) - you would need to buy a kit from them to get the device apart; plus, the 'touch ID' would not be functional.

Finally, there is a 'software' home button option - see the last two pics (from my iPad Air 2 on iOS 11.03) - Assistive Touch can be set as the 3-Click option (assuming your 'home button' works for a moment) - following the appropriate number of clicks, a 'Home Button' icon appears on the home screen and can be moved - pressing the screen button brings up the menu shown in the last image - more information HERE - Dave :)

View attachment 27359

View attachment 27360

View attachment 27361

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The private repairer told me that for every iPhone, there is only one home button. This is for security purposes. Perhaps there is a serial code? Therefore, when you change the home button, touch ID would not work forever.

Unfortunately, I don't have Apple care but it's not a huge drama. Ideally, I want to fix my phone for convenience until my iPhone X arrives in 6 weeks. A cheap fix that restores touch ID is ideal since when I sell my phone, it would have more value since its important to buyers. If not, I wouldnt mind fixing it for $60 (without touch ID), although it will be more challenging selling the phone.

Well, I'm not sure if you checked the links in my post, but a pic below from the first one discussing a potential reason why an 'Apple Repair' is needed to restore the ID Touch w/ a Home button repair - seems that Apple has uniquely linked the ID sensor (chip?) w/ the specific device and are the only ones that can revive that relationship; SO, if you want to restore the touch ID, then you likely will have to get an estimate from Apple.

As to selling your old iPhone, you certainly would need a functional Home button, thus likely a 'must' repair - if offered at a fair price, then the potential purchaser may not care about the touch ID? Just a guess - good luck. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 5.46.32 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@simonvee:

Good advice from Dave. Your iPhone 6 is not worth very much to begin with and without a home button functioning I doubt you would be able to sell it. Good luck with the iPhone X ($$$). ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.