wondering which to buy?

• Thread starter cadillac vernon
  • Start date
C

cadillac vernon

Hi there, I recently bought a Presonus Firebox to record multitrack audio with programs like Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, etc.

My goal is to go portable with this so I am thinking of buying a laptop. I am wondering why Apple has discontinued their 15" and 17" powerbooks. The 12" ones only have Firewire 400 ports, but my Firebox supports 800. I am wondering if it makes a huge difference. Should I buy a 15 or 17 incher off ebay, or will the Firewire 400 port be sufficient for recording audio?

What is the difference between Firewire ports when it comes to recording? Thanks for your help,

vern

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Apple discontinued their Powerbook models in favor of the new MacBook Pro with the Core Duo Intel CPU. By the end of the year there will be no more Macs with IBM or Motorola CPU's, but all will have Intel CPU's.

I would think that Firewire 400 would be more than enough for your usage as I know of many people with PC's that only have FW400 that do what you are trying to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can buy an express-card slot adapter to add 2 Firewire 800 ports to the 15" macbook pro.

So I'd definitely go with the Macbook Pro model...

OP
C

cadillac vernon

dtravis7 said:
Apple discontinued their Powerbook models in favor of the new MacBook Pro with the Core Duo Intel CPU. By the end of the year there will be no more Macs with IBM or Motorola CPU's, but all will have Intel CPU's.

I would think that Firewire 400 would be more than enough for your usage as I know of many people with PC's that only have FW400 that do what you are trying to do.

cool, thanks for the info. looks like i'll probably just get a 12-incher with firewire 400.

OP
C

cadillac vernon

Aptmunich said:
You can buy an express-card slot adapter to add 2 Firewire 800 ports to the 15" macbook pro.

So I'd definitely go with the Macbook Pro model...

ya, they look cool. but aren't they like $3500 or something? too rich fer me

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
cadillac vernon said:
ya, they look cool. but aren't they like $3500 or something? too rich fer me

The MacBook Pro starts in at $1,999.00. If you can afford that, I would go with the MacBook Pro as that way you will be up to date and it's one fast machine also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
cadillac vernon said:
cool, thanks for the info. looks like i'll probably just get a 12-incher with firewire 400.
I'd hang on and see what apple announces this week...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.