Urgent help needed!:(:(

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have just got my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) back from my younger brother. He has somehow deleted all detection of the hard drive when attempting to 'restore to factory settings' before returning to me.
I am currently using High Sierra, running off a 1TB external hd.

As you can see there is absolutely no sign of the internal drive. He insists that he deleted something using 'Disk Utility' in recovery mode- so isn't a hardware fault.

Please help!!!:(
Untitled.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It appears your brother may have wiped or deleted your Macintosh HD so that now you have a blank drive. (the drive is still there and usable) You will need to reinstall macOS. Boot to Recovery (Command plus r) and enter Utilities, Disk Utility. Then if possible take a screen shot of your hard drive and post it here so we can see exactly what he did. Do not boot the machine with your USB attached drive or will not be able to see what's going on. The screen shot you provided only tells us that you're booted from the USB drive.

However, you may wind up having to reinstall macOS using Internet Recovery. Also, tell us what version of macOS your MacBook Pro was running before this happened.

OP
J
Reaction score
Absolutely, here are the supporting images.

I was running High Sierra 10.13.
I reinstalled High Sierra 10.13 to my external hard drive using the Recovery Boot Menu.

IMG_7889.JPG

IMG_7890.JPG

IMG_7891.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Now keep Junior well away!

M

MacInWin

Your pictures are very fuzzy and pretty much unreadable, but if I understand, you are booted from an external drive, but cannot mount your internal drive at all? If so, about the only thing I can think to do is to boot from the recovery partition again and run DU from there to see if you can reformat the internal drive and reinstall the OS. That will erase anything on the original drive, so unless you have a backup, it's all gone. But as it is, it's gone now anyway, so maybe that's ok?

OP
J
Reaction score
I launched DU from the recovery partition. The only drive that is displayed is an OS X Base System.

I cannot reformat the drive. I cannot select the internal hard drive in the side pane so unsure how I can reformat.
I have reinstalled to an External Hard drive but unsure how to move forward.

M

MacInWin

You are most likely going to have to take the MBP to an Apple store, or an approved Apple technician, to get the drive going again. If you booted from the Recovery Partition and still cannot even see the drive in DU, then something very serious has happened to the partition table on the drive itself. It may even need to be replaced. But Apple has additional tools and capabilities that they can use to try to rescue the drive for you. Everything on it will be lost, but at least your MBP will be usable again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did your brother attempt to install winOS on it? There could be an issue with UEFI, where the drive will not show up anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.