Wifi Automatically Turns On During Startup

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Mac OS X High Sierra (10.13), I've noticed that whenever I boot up my laptop it will already be connected to wifi (even before I actually login) despite manually turning wifi off before shut down. This was not the case prior to upgrading - the only way it would connect to wifi is if I manually turned wifi on via the menu bar after login. And strangely enough this issue also seems to only happen overnight; it does NOT occur if I restart or if I shut down and immediately boot up.

The wifi settings for the particular network I use are set to "automatically join"; however, this feature used to simply mean that when wifi was turned on it would connect to that specific network. It did not control the on/off aspect of the wifi. So unless that feature changed I do not see it as the culprit.

I've also checked the login items in case somehow the wifi network was being triggered by that, but nothing of note is listed there. Plus as mentioned before, the wifi is turned on prior to login anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can prevent my laptop from connecting itself to wifi prior to login? I do not like the fact that my computer is apparently connecting to the internet without my permission.

Thanks

MacBook Pro Mid 2015
macOS High Sierra v10.13

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Go into System Preferences, Energy Saver, and look to see if you have the following things checked: "Enable Power Nap" and "Wake for network access". If you have either one or both of those checked, remove the checkmark.

I'm not sure why you want WiFi turned off when your machine is off. If you fear that there may be unauthorized access to your machine, you should know that your connection is protected by the hardware firewall contained within your router.

If you're still concerned after taking precautions, then go into network settings on your MacBook Pro and turn off WiFi and instead use an ethernet cable from your MacBook Pro to your router or modem router setup. Of course that may not be convenient depending on where your machine is and the location of the router.

Reaction score
I have the same issue, El Capitian, MacBook Pro.
I've tried reseting SMC, the PRAM thing, set admin only for changing networks, turning on WiFi, and disabling WiFI. Looked at startup items, and more, it still happens.
If I SAFE BOOT, WiFi stays off, what does that tell me?
Thank you MacPeople!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If I SAFE BOOT, WiFi stays off, what does that tell me?
Thank you MacPeople!!

It's an old thread but that doesn't really matter, but to answer your question it tells you that you have some third-party, non-Apple software installed that's enabling the Wi-Fi.

First place to check is your System Preferences > User & Group and look what is set to login in the username account.

Next step would be to check for a possible cause with a normal boot using Activity Monitor.app.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
It's an old thread but that doesn't really matter, but to answer your question it tells you that you have some third-party, non-Apple software installed that's enabling the Wi-Fi...Next step would be to check for a possible cause with a normal boot using Activity Monitor.app.

- Patrick
======

There's nothing at start up.
Note - I have checked "Require Administrator..." to change networks/turn on wifi, and this still happens.
How would I go about using the Activity Monitor to spot the culprit?
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@cheakypawl, First, why & how often, do you start up or restart your Mac? There's really no need to do that.

What model year is your MBP?

Do you have an ethernet cable plugged in to your MBP?

Reaction score
@cheakypawl, First, why & how often, do you start up or restart your Mac? There's really no need to do that.
What model year is your MBP?
Do you have an ethernet cable plugged in to your MBP?

When I've finished using the Mac I power down, once a day?
This argument, which I didn't ask for, that I've seen a few places whereby the reply starts by questioning people who power down, is quite frankly PERVERSE.
I power down, there, I said it, ok?
I am VERY open to knowing precisely why "There's really no need to do that". VERY open. Pray tell...
If you're ok with my attitude regarding powering down the rest of my reply ensues...

In this case, I'm using a 2015 MBP, I use a USB to Ethernet adapter. The issue is new, i.e. it started only relatively recently, which does point to some 3rd party install, though not necessarily.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, it was really, only a question, to satisfy my curiosity. It is your PC and you should use it the best to fit your needs. Some people, just don't know, that there is no need for it, and are uninformed, but you know what you want to do, again I'm sorry.

When you did the NVRAM and SMC resets, did you have the USB to Ethernet adapter connected?

I would attempt them again, this time doing each multiple times.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, it was really, only a question, to satisfy my curiosity. It is your PC and you should use it the best to fit your needs. Some people, just don't know, that there is no need for it, and are uninformed, but you know what you want to do, again I'm sorry.
When you did the NVRAM and SMC resets, did you have the USB to Ethernet adapter connected?
I would attempt them again, this time doing each multiple times.

Haha. No offence taken. Quite a sly answer. I see what you did there.
I'll take it then that there is no reason not to switch off, and carry on. Haven't heard one yet.

I've done the resets, in every way shape and form, nothing.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, pre SSD, not turning a PC off, would save you 1-2 minutes startup time, but now, it's about 30 seconds.

Have you looked in the App Store to see if you have any OS X updates available? There was a security update at the beginning of July.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am VERY open to knowing precisely why "There's really no need to do that". VERY open. Pray tell...
If you're ok with my attitude regarding powering down the rest of my reply ensues…
… … …
I'll take it then that there is no reason not to switch off, and carry on. Haven't heard one yet.

Wow!! What side of the bed did you get up from other than the snippy side??? :Smirk:

To answer your question as to why one should not always shut down their Mac when they've finished using it — the main reason is the the Mac OS X does some maintenance and cleanup routines in the wee small hours of the night. If the Mac is always shutdown, then those routines don't get to run.

If it's just put to sleep, the routines will still run and also you wouldn't have your Wifi Automatically Turns On During Startup problem.

I hope that answers your question for you.

As for your other question:
How would I go about using the Activity Monitor to spot the culprit?
You'd need to glance down the list after the Wi-Fi has been enabled and see if you could spot something that might be responsible.

Yes, doing so can be a real PITA and may involve a bunch of googling.

You could also take some screen shots of all the processes running, first when the Wi-Fi is enabled and again after or even usinf Safe Boot Mode, and then compare what might be different or missing.

The other choice is to google your subject and check some of the likely hits:
https://www.google.com/search?clien...lly+Turns+On+During+Startup&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

PS: You can ignore this thread that will probably show up as #1 hit!!! :Smirk:

EDIT:
Here's a URL to check about shutting down ones Mac or not if you'd like to read some other reasons:
why one should not always shut down their Mac when they've finished using it
https://www.google.com/search?clien...n+they've+finished+using+it&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Say cheaky, I just thought of a bit of a hack method to prevent your Wi-Fi from activating if you want to give it a try.

In your System Preferences > Network, click the "Advanced" and disable the normal "Remember networks" checkmark. And maybe even delete any password that might be in your Keychain Access.app list.

That should at least prevent any Wi-Fi from enabling itself and I don't know what your cause is but the problem seems to have been around for many according to some google searches on the problem.

Here's a shot of the option, at least as it shows in Mavericks. It just might work or help I hope.

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 9.56.57 AM.png

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
:Smirk:

To answer your question as to why one should not always shut down their Mac when they've finished using it — the main reason is the the Mac OS X does some maintenance and cleanup routines in the wee small hours of the night. If the Mac is always shutdown, then those routines don't get to run.

If it's just put to sleep, the routines will still run and also you wouldn't have your Wifi Automatically Turns On During Startup problem.

- Patrick
======
One minor correction: The last several incarnations of OS X handle things a bit more reliably. If a Mac is not running at the time these scripts are scheduled to run, they are run the next time the Mac is operational. According to Macworld
Leopard is smart enough to run the missed scripts the next time you wake up your computer. (Tiger is supposed to do so, as well, although this automatic feature didn’t work as well.) Second, the tasks these scripts perform aren’t so important that a few missed executions will adversely affect your Mac.
See Myth #2 here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
When I've finished using the Mac I power down, once a day?
This argument, which I didn't ask for, that I've seen a few places whereby the reply starts by questioning people who power down, is quite frankly PERVERSE.
I power down, there, I said it, ok?
Notwithstanding the system maintenance that is run in the wee hours (or when you boot if you do shut down all the time), the reason I don't shut down is that electronic components die more often at power on and power off than during the time they are running in a steady state. The reason is the current inrush at power on that can overload or drive components to limits and bring on early failure. At power off, the reverse happens, with some components coming under heavier loads as the various circuits discharge. If you want to read about current inrush, here is a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inrush_current , or do your own search on "inrush current" and look for yourself. Basically, powering on draws more power at the instant of power on that a steady state and can harm components in the device.

There is no NEED to power down, and to do so puts it at a certain risk of failure, so I don't do that. But it's totally up to you how you manage your laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One minor correction: The last several incarnations of OS X handle things a bit more reliably.

Yes, minor changes as they still happen but I dare say that the old scripts were a lot more througher and took longer.

But as Jake says, electronics, even motors dilike and have a limit on the current inrush at power on.

Ever notice when light bulbs usually fail??

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Patrick I'm sure the scripts have changed a little over the years out of necessity. IIRC one of the changes whas inhow the scripts were initiated. I believe it was changed to a launch daemon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick I'm sure the scripts have changed a little over the years out of necessity. IIRC one of the changes whas inhow the scripts were initiated. I believe it was changed to a launch daemon.

I'm sure they have Sly and well beyond any small Mac/Linux programming knowledge I may have, or I should say tiny bit of Mac/Linux programming knowledge and/or methods. ;D

But I think the point and advice has been well stated but may not change things for some users. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Say cheaky, I just thought of a bit of a hack method to prevent your Wi-Fi from activating if you want to give it a try.

In your System Preferences > Network, click the "Advanced" and disable the normal "Remember networks" checkmark. And maybe even delete any password that might be in your Keychain Access.app list.

That should at least prevent any Wi-Fi from enabling itself and I don't know what your cause is but the problem seems to have been around for many according to some google searches on the problem.

Here's a shot of the option, at least as it shows in Mavericks. It just might work or help I hope.

View attachment 28325

- Patrick
======

Thanks for the tips. Seems I'm in a boat with others, as I have tried everything being mentioned.

What I am interested in is finding out how to use something like the Activity monitor to find out at what point and what turns it on. Clearly if I'm ticking the 'require admin pw to turn wifi on/off' and it still turns on, it mist be something with admin authorisation.

Reaction score
Notwithstanding the system maintenance that is run in the wee hours (or when you boot if you do shut down all the time), the reason I don't shut down is that electronic components die more often at power on and power off than during the time they are running in a steady state. The reason is the current inrush at power on that can overload or drive components to limits and bring on early failure. At power off, the reverse happens, with some components coming under heavier loads as the various circuits discharge. If you want to read about current inrush, here is a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inrush_current , or do your own search on "inrush current" and look for yourself. Basically, powering on draws more power at the instant of power on that a steady state and can harm components in the device.

There is no NEED to power down, and to do so puts it at a certain risk of failure, so I don't do that. But it's totally up to you how you manage your laptop.

It's a curio piece but there's no way, even with current Apple hardware sloppiness, that even they would allow damage via the inrush current. Of course it is possible, but that would make it a faulty laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.