Bootcamp partition taking up Hard Drive Space after being closed during installation.

Reaction score
After I deleted my original bootcamp partition of Windows 10 to create a new one with more storage (around 670GB) I ran into a problem as I was re-installing Windows 10. This happened when my Boot Camp Assistant was buffering on "Status: Partitioning disk" for an hour or so, this lead me to search the issue up so upon finding a solution (and I quited out of bootcamp assistant as it was partitioning disk) restarted my computer in Internet Recovery Mode and repaired my disk using Terminal. I then continued to create a bootcamp partition however I found out that I could only create a partition of around 150GB. This lead me to look at my storage and see that my bootcamp partition had taken up space without actually doing anything (I assume this is because I quit out of boot camp assistant as it was partitioning disk). btw I tried booting into a windows partition by pressing option while i was booting up and it just booted into mac and when I use disk utility nothing shows up expect my computer.
I used to have about 790GB of free space, I then quited out as it was partition with a partition of around 670GB and I now have 155.5GB of free space.
Specifications: https://gyazo.com/480cb2a6b05e5b46233ef4e4ba6e1b80
Storage: https://gyazo.com/a13aa95d01d92ce31a4a4f5b07170001
Disk Utility: https://gyazo.com/72ee1857cf0e8893ad2c2dc85a92db59

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can you show us a screen grab of the partitions on your drive please

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you make a backup before using Boot Camp? From the look of things, you may have to erase the drive and restore from backup. Afterward, you can attempt to install Windows again. It's never a good idea to interrupt Boot Camp when it's partitioning the drive. And since you designated such a large partition, Boot Camp will take longer to create it and format it so that the Windows installation can proceed.

OP
B
Reaction score
Did you make a backup before using Boot Camp? From the look of things, you may have to erase the drive and restore from backup. Afterward, you can attempt to install Windows again. It's never a good idea to interrupt Boot Camp when it's partitioning the drive. And since you designated such a large partition, Boot Camp will take longer to create it and format it so that the Windows installation can proceed.

No, I didn't create a backup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, I didn't create a backup.

OK, no sense worrying about that now. Make a backup of your Mac's data using Time Machine or cloning software and then go ahead and erase the drive and reinstall macOS anyway you can. You might have to use Internet Recovery to reinstall. Afterward, you can upgrade to whatever version of macOS you were at before. Then start over with Boot Camp.

OP
B
Reaction score
OK, no sense worrying about that now. Make a backup of your Mac's data using Time Machine or cloning software and then go ahead and erase the drive and reinstall macOS anyway you can. You might have to use Internet Recovery to reinstall. Afterward, you can upgrade to whatever version of macOS you were at before. Then start over with Boot Camp.
Ok, I will try to do that but if I use Time Machine to backup my Mac will that mean that when I reinstall my backup after deleting my harddrive through Internet Recovery Mode the excess space will still be there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I will try to do that but if I use Time Machine to backup my Mac will that mean that when I reinstall my backup after deleting my harddrive through Internet Recovery Mode the excess space will still be there.

No, Time Machine has nothing to do with the partitioning or space allocation. It's merely a backup solution. You should be OK once you get everything back together again. Next time, do not try to create such a large Boot Camp partition and always allow it to finish.

OP
B
Reaction score
No, Time Machine has nothing to do with the partitioning or space allocation. It's merely a backup solution. You should be OK once you get everything back together again. Next time, do not try to create such a large Boot Camp partition and always allow it to finish.
Why would creating a large Boot Camp partition lead to this problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would creating a large Boot Camp partition lead to this problem?

Because Boot Camp has to create and format that partition to FAT before it can get it ready for Windows 10 and that takes time. Once the Windows installer starts, it will convert/format the partition to NTFS which is the only file system that Windows can be installed on.

I'm not saying it's impossible to create that large a partition; only that it will take time and the more work Boot Camp has to do, the greater the chance for error. It's up to you.

OP
B
Reaction score
Because Boot Camp has to create and format that partition to FAT before it can get it ready for Windows 10 and that takes time. Once the Windows installer starts, it will convert/format the partition to NTFS which is the only file system that Windows can be installed on.

I'm not saying it's impossible to create that large a partition; only that it will take time and the more work Boot Camp has to do, the greater the chance for error. It's up to you.

Should a partition of around 500GB cause errors?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should a partition of around 500GB cause errors?

That should be ok, but be patient and let the Boot Camp software do its thing. Let us know how it went.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm so confused at what just happened as I was backing up my Mac using time machine to reinstall my OS and wipe my harddrive, my storage went back to normal and it's now at 799GB Free out of 998GB. I'll keep you guys updated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.