File transfer iMac to new iMac

Reaction score
My old iMac is a 5,1 from 06 running version 10.6.8. I have a replacement iMac (current model) that i want to get up and running and have photos and documents that i want to transfer, as well as mailboxes from my Mac mail.

I have allowed my mail inbox to become ridiculously bloated with old emails that I wanted to return to. That plan didn't work out and it's gotten out of hand.

My intent is to wire the two computers together and use set up manager to get the new computer configured. My reading leads me to understand that I cannot transfer individual mailboxes and server info but must transfer the mail program in total. (Bloated inbox along with all else)

Is this the truth?

Another question; I purchased the extended support / help warranty along with the new computer. Does this entitle me to call Apple for setup help? (Hopefully call them as I am working at transferring info computer to computer)

Thanks for all comments and advice. If it's not already apparent; I am not very competent nor experienced with this activity. You may need to "dumb down advice.

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Are you using an up to date Time Machine backup o you coukld connect the backup and run Migration Assistantn the 5.1 iMac? If so you could connect the external backup and run Migration Assistant which is found in Utilities., The same option would work with a cloned backup.

Failing that, you clukld connecgt the machines to the same network, wifi or ethernet, and proceed that way. Have a look at this link from Apple:-

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204350

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for that link Harry. Hard to believe I hadn't found it before this. I believe that it will give me the guts to proceed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Keep us posted John ~ lots of help here mate!

OP
J
Reaction score
Keep us posted John ~ lots of help here mate!

Thanks again for the link Harry. I have accomplished the startup of the new machine and the transfer of the files from my old iMac.

In hindsight I can say that I believe I could have accomplished the file transfer with no idea as to what to expect, because the new Mac walked me through it step by step.

That being said; I really appreciated being able to read and absorb the page you linked as I was familiar with every new step asked for by the new Mac due to studying that page.

Thanks again Mr. Harry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.