PARALLELS 13 - Windows refuses to install

Reaction score
Hi all,

Parallels on new iMac 2017 27".

I am trying to install Windows 7 from an image I made myself from a real Windows DVD... fully legit.

It starts the windows VM, and I can see the Windows install process starting.... but then it stops:

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 12.01.04 AM.png

Why might this be happening?

Thank you for your very kind help.

[EDIT: I think I know! This is a windows 7 UPGRADE disc for systems that already have XP. My bad.]

Next question... I have Windows 8.1 Pro on an OEM install disk... but I is my understanding that this disk won't work either.

It's sure frustrating to have purchased all of these versions of windows, but then not have way to use them. Suggestions? I would be so pissed if I had to purchase windows AGAIN. sigh.

Ryder

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm about to get some sleep - getting late here. However, it appears you're trying to install an upgrade version of Windows 7 and not a FULL version. (I see you already know the answer.) Buy a full version and it should work - either that or try this:

Install the upgrade version of Window 7 but do not enter your product key. It will run but not be activated. After you set it up and it's running without the product key, reinstall Windows 7 over the top of the Windows 7 installation you just made and then enter your product key. See if that will activate and work. I got my Windows 7 upgrade DVD to install that way on an older iMac I had several years ago. It's a recommended trick to get an upgrade version to work. Let us know. See you tomorrow. :)

OP
R
Reaction score
I actually used my "OEM" 8.1 to make parallels work *after* I reverted to Sierra (from High). Somehow the OEM disk is reported as a full retail disk, possibly because I had my machine built by a smaller company.

Anyway, Parallels works amazingly well. Pretty shocked by the performance.

I've thrown paint programs at it, rendering programs, STEAM with utilities and games (like 3D coat). It behaves perfectly so far.

Apparently the FIRMWARE in this year's iMacs has been changed so that Bootcamp won't support anything but Win 10. Shocking so far as I am concerned.... I was going to return this useless iMac because of this... but Parallels may have just saved the sale.

Anyone know what the biggest problem/downside is with Parallels (outside of performance... thinking functionality only here). Using the ports? Printing?

Thanks, all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anyone know what the biggest problem/downside is with Parallels (outside of performance... thinking functionality only here). Using the ports? Printing?

The only downside I have experienced using a VM to run Windows was with graphic intensive apps - mostly games that require a high frame rate. Parallels 13 is the latest and runs most Windows games fairly well. Of course if you're a dedicated gamer, then Boot Camp is the only way. Either that or put out $2K or more for a Dell Alienware machine. LOL.

Anyway glad to hear Apple get you back to running Sierra. That was with using Internet Recovery which gets you back to the original macOS that was installed. Going to the Apple Store was probably the best. You got a great machine, so stick with it. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.