APFS File Recovery

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how well file recovery tools such as PhotoRec work on APFS? Alternatively, since APFS seems to function similarly to a version control software, is there a way to rollback changes? iCloud didn't have all of my files on the cloud Documents && Desktop folders, so I turned off iCloud Drive. Upon turning it off it deleted all the files on my local Documents and Desktop, leaving me only with access to the cloud folders which were missing quite a few documents. Anyone else experience this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Turning off iCloud drive after you had stored your Documents and Desktop folders there was not a good move. As you found out, your documents are now gone. We have warned folks about this in our forums on several occasions. As to file recovery tools working or not with APFS, you will have to post that question to the developer of the recovery software.

OP
A
Reaction score
Turning off iCloud drive after you had stored your Documents and Desktop folders there was not a good move. As you found out, your documents are now gone. We have warned folks about this in our forums on several occasions. As to file recovery tools working or not with APFS, you will have to post that question to the developer of the recovery software.

Thanks for the response. I wish I had been on the forum before now. I'll repost this in the appropriate thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.