Drive read/write speeds for running windows

Reaction score
Hello everyone, again, I made a thread yesterday about dual booting with an external drive and got answers, but another big question arose so I feel it needs its own dedicated thread.

So I'm trying to find the right drive for my USB-C only 2017 mbp. Obviously, because I'll be running windows on a drive, the read and write speeds must be fast. Does anyone know if a drive with a clock speed of aprox. 130mb/s would be enough? Or would I need to invest in the Samsung T5 with high 400s mb/s read/write speeds.

Would very much appreciate the help, thanks again.

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It really doesn't matter. The USB 3.1 spec has a theoretical speed of 10 Gb/s (1250 MB/s) but practically you'll get around 7 Gb/s (875 MB/s)...

The read speed of SSDs will be faster than write speeds and so if you have 400 MB/s read and say 250 MB/s writes that means that you'll load things pretty quickly off the drive and go. If you use a regular spinning (7200 RPM) HDD, you're around 130 MB/s read and slower writes. This just means that things will work more slowly, but still work.

I used an external SSD in the past to run Windows through VMWare Fusion and that worked totally fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.