ipod 6g battery issues

Reaction score
iPod touch 6g battery issues

Hi, posting here as I came upon the forum while searching for apple discussion issues so I hope its ok as I cannot get to see the page there.
I bought my daughter an ipod which was meant to be a christmas present. On switching on it had a red battery light which lasted a good 10 seconds before coming on full.
In this time if you press the home screen button it says the battery is dead until it flicks over.
Now I have been an ipod/iphone user for years and never had this issue, so got onto support who ran over the phone diagnostics and said it was fine but arranged a repair.
Who apparently ran a set of tests and said it was fine?! They couldn't replicate the issue, which you clearly can if you switch the phone off then on again.
Their excuse was I needed to update itunes as I must be using an old version.
I'm not a technophobe. All my programmes etc are the latest version. I'm not an idiot. I ran a restore, I reset it several times, no change.
Now bearing in mind, did I mention it was brand new, out of the box two days old when I first turned it on to test it and that was the same day I contacted support.
Are apple right and there is nothing wrong with it? Is it a new ipod feature? Because to me it seems like the battery is faulty or the connection is and its not registering properly if there is a 10 second delay every time. None of my other products have ever done this on powering on.
And yes it is charging although it does seem to stick at 99% for far longer than the rest of the charging time.
Seeing as its for a 6 year old child I want to make sure its safe.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I'm assuming you're referring to an iPod Nano 6th Generation model? If you are, I suggest returning it and either get a refund or have them give you another one to replace it. I recently purchased a brand new Nano 6G here in the US and it did not display any of the charging symptoms you referred to.

By the way, Apple is out of the iPod business except for the iPod Touch model which is not suitable for a 6 year old.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi thanks for replying. It is an iPod touch, sorry, forgot to mention that.
As to the unsuitability for a 6 year old..not sure why. She has educational apps on, is monitored and doesn’t do social networking lol. She uses my iPhone camera too well and had the same apps on my iPhone. Her attention span is limited so she isnt eternally on it :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's fine. You know your daughter best. However, my advice still stands about returning the iPod Touch for another one. The Touch models use a larger battery than other iPods and like an iPhone should charge up in a similar manner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.